Pics: Autumn Above Treeline...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
This is a bit late, but I finally got to the final edits of my Shots from September while hiking above treeline. They were taken between Mt. Monroe and Mt. Clay.

A few of these have been posted elsewhere, a few are fresh. Hope you enjoy, I figured this community above most would appreciate the beauty of the autumn colors exhibited by the Presidential tundra...

Click on Picture:

~w7x

hardyb said:
Great photos, but were they enhanced with some Photoshop color adjustments :confused: ?

Thanks...

I'm not THAT good at photoshop, so I try to get everything right in the lens. THey were shot in RAW format, so they needed conversion and editing, but I limited photoshop editing to levels, a quick dogde/burn and a little sponge on the blueberry bushes.

The color throughout the scene is accomplished in lens through graduated neutral density filters and polarizing filters, as well as the quality of light, which I got lucky on for sure!...

Here's a link to show how neutral density filters work...
http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

Last edited:
w7xman said:
as well as the quality of light, which I got lucky on for sure!.

Respectfully disagree that luck plays into the Boott Spur image in any way. There was effort to get there, and anticipation of what might happen at that time and place required foresight. Ability to capture the scene as you did also has nothing to do with luck. It's the result of years of trial and error and effort, both in being there with equipment and ability to capture.

This image is phenomenal. You've created a special image that will now last forever. You experienced it (jealous), but others may now also enjoy the moment. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Trails :)

Wow!

Forestnome is right - pat yourself on the back. YOU captured the moment in such a way that mere words cannot convey how beautiful your photos are. Your first photo is the embodiment of the phrase "purple mountains majesty." When I viewed your pics, I was speechless until the word "Wow!" escaped from my lips. Those are seriously the best photos I've seen outside of Jerry and Marcy Monkman's book White Mountain Wilderness. Worthy of a book in their own right.... :)

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
"Bootes Spur Blueberry" gets my vote with "Among the AlpenGlow" coming in a close second!

Nice work.

I second that. All are amazing though. Nice job.

(woohoo, 1000 posts!)

forestnome said:
There was effort to get there, and anticipation of what might happen at that time and place required foresight. Ability to capture the scene as you did also has nothing to do with luck. It's the result of years of trial and error and effort, both in being there with equipment and ability to capture.

You said it.

One comment that always bugs me is "wow, you must have a great camera". I want to say "no, I just know how to use it, plus I worked at it for years, plus I have a love for and a knowledge of my subject matter" but I usually just say "yah, my camera is pretty good, I really like it."

As for luck, what is the saying, "luck favors the prepared"?

- darren

Really enjoyed the pictures. I'm lucky if i remember to bring my camera, so thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

They are outstanding photos. I went one step further and enjoyed the ones on Fotki too.

Fishermen have a saying - 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

While it's not a "saying" per se, I would say empirical evidence demonstrates that 10% of the bicycle racers win 90% of the races.

The bottom line is that those who practice their art, craft, sport, etc., the most are rewarded the most often, and it clearly shows.

Tim

Wow, thanks all, I appreciate the comments...

I'm glad others enjoyed them! I was completely struck by the alpine tundra this autumn and was glad I could show and share it in such good light.

All the best,
w7x

Beautiful work ...Got to get in a September hike on that range, although your viewing your shots make it feel as if I'm there now.

Photos

Very nice. It is images like that motivate me to use the camera more. What a great way to start the day. Thanks for posting.