Who would do an overnighter in these temperatures?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
With the temperatures near -30 in some places, how many of you would do an overnighter?

If you have, what was it like?

BTW, can anyone reccommend a good T.I?

Last edited:
I probably would, just never had the chance. The coldest overnighter I've ever done was -10. I always seem to be really busy on these cold weekends!! :D

I've been out overnight at -20 or a little colder, but that was my limit. When temps like that, routine, small tricks to stay comfortable and good teammates are essential. There is little room for error.

I know folks who've been out colder, but for me, it just isn't fun to sleep out when it hits the danger zone.

I think it would be a good idea for someone with Alaskan 16Ker or above aspirations to get out in this weather in familiar terrain to test out gear before going on an expedition where you will have to deal with it for more than a week, and changing your mind is no longer an option if the bush pilot is at least a week away. These cold spells seem like excellent training for really cold "big" mountains to learn heat management and winter mountaineering skills. I was going to do some winter overnighters this year as I have Mt. Bona(I would be guided if/when I go) aspirations but that trip is postponed until 2005 or later for me as I have decided to move this year instead which takes up most of my time and money for this year. So this winter I am staying inside at night:cool:! Next year...:rolleyes:

Happy hiking... John

I've spent the night out at around -20 (in the Great Gulf) and getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night was a painful experience that I don't hope to repeat.

I've spend a -30 night out in a cabin and had to ski back to my car in the morning at about -15. That was a pretty bitter experience as well.

-dave-

I did last year when we had that cold spell because the artic front that came in conincided with the date we had chosen to go out. My friends had purchased their plane ticket so the date was kind of set.

Before we left one of my friends kept calling me and asking me with his British accent, "Nigel, you think this is safe, maybe we should reconsider." Seeing as how my bag was rated at 25F, I went to EMS and rented the -25F.

The plan had originally called for us to do a night hike in to a lean-to after driving 6hrs from NYC after work on Friday. We stopped about 40 minutes north of Albany at a reststop and when I stepped out, I was chilled to the bone. Needless to say, we spent that night in a hotel in Lake Placid and spent the 2nd night out, which was around -27F. Surprisingly, quite a few people were out and about doing their trips. It definately was not fun getting up in the morning, but it was a memorable experience!

I'm heading out this weekend and looking at the forecast, it looks like it's going to be another chilly weekend!

Wednesday night. Partly cloudy. A slight chance of snow late. Lows 20 below to 30 below. Chance of snow 20 percent.

Thursday. Partly sunny with a slight chance of snow. Highs near 5 below. Chance of snow 20 percent.

Thursday night. Partly cloudy. Lows 15 below to 25 below.

Friday. Partly sunny. Highs near zero.

Friday night. Partly cloudy. Lows 10 below to 15 below.

Saturday. Partly sunny. Highs 10 to 15.

Saturday night. Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow showers. Very cold. Lows 5 below to 10 below. Chance of snow 20 percent.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/NYZ034.php?warncounty=NYC029&city=Lake+Placid

Fun Times! Just another balmy day in paradise!

sherpakid

I camped at Horns Pond (Maine) last February during the cold snap. For some reason, the info board there had a thermometer attached. It bottomed out at 35 below around 9:00 pm. Our own thermometers all did the same. I don't really trust any of them, but suffice to say, it was cold. However, it was not particularly uncomfortable; I've felt colder and more miserable at 5 below, or even 10 above.

Assuming you have the right gear, facing cold is mostly about attitude. And, I find that the best way to sleep warm is to go on a short, starlit snowshoe walk, with all your layers on, before getting into your sleeping bag. Just don't overheat and sweat.

cushetunk - good idea with the walk right before bed.

sherpakid - I'm headed out this weekend myself to Rusk in the Catskills. Where you headed?

I've done quite a few winter overnighters but it hasn't been since, like, at least 15 years ago that I remember temperatures getting this cold. We camped at the base of Slide and it got to minus 20. It was my first winter trip. I wa wearing a lot of cotton, using a summer bag and a big pair of RedWing work boots - pretty funny when I look back. It was cold.

I'm taking my brother on his first winter trip this weekend - HAHAHAHAH

I do it every year at least one SubZero temp.
I teach the Boy Scouts some winter survival tips.
Snow is a great insulator, for example given two pots of water.
One one a snow bank and the other one under a foot of snow.
The one in the snow not on top will not freeze.

Like everyone else said, layers on and I also use a layered sleeping system as well.

-12 below is my record so far but I know I am ready for more.
Going out the next two weekends. Bound to be a wee bit nippy.
I also cook and eat an old Native American snack of bannock cakes and pemican before bed. Both have highfat and oil content and help with a little insulation too.

If you actually had the time on a hike, make a Quinzee ( Snow Cave) it will be like being inside it's so warm.

Last edited:
I've been out as cold as +8, but this weekend at the Gathering will be my first subzero (and significantly so) experience. I will say that I'm glad it's at a campground so I can have a bunch of extra layers for inside the tent. I'm looking forward to it ... the only thing that concerns me is that if I do find myself cold at night, I won't sleep well, and if I don't sleep well then hiking the next day will be difficult.
:D

I tested my sleeping bag in the backyard last winter, it got down to -12 and I was getting a little chilled, so I guess that's my limit. Can't quite justify buying a new bag for lower temps.

Yeah, when it gets real cold, it takes a lot of mental endurance to get through the trip. You always gotta keep the extremeties moving and the conversation going to keep the mind off the cold.

But it's worth every minute of it!

Last edited:
Coldest for me was around -25, (a buddy had a minimum registering thermometer) at Bushnell's fall LT back in 1997.
I remember screaming into the cold while peeing at 11, 3 & 5 AM.
I also remember hearing the trees explode.
I specifically remember it was so cold that I could not get the gasoline (not white gas) to light in the whisperlight priming cup.

I never realized how painful cold can really be.

I spent a night in a cabin when it got down to around -40 in the Adirondacks over Presidents Day Weekend in 2003.
(I remember we had a thread on it - BC)
We kept going outside to toss hot water in the air and watch it evaporate almost instantly, except for a few small pieces that came down as ice.

I agree with Dave M. on the Skiing. I scraped off all my grip wax -that morning - didn't need anything cause the snow was so cold and sharp. It was very brutal that day - Warmed up to around -12

Like Alpine Summit, my low is -40. We, too, had a cheesy thermometer... all the coloring was in the bulb. That was a painful night I wouldn't like to repeat.

BTW, the next morning we attempted Algonquin... and I've been hooked ever since! Some monkeys learn quicker than others.

jfb said:
I tested my sleeping bag in the backyard last winter, it got down to -12 and I was getting a little chilled, so I guess that's my limit. Can't quite justify buying a new bag for lower temps.

I believe that the temp rating on a sleeping bag is based on survivability not comfort. Can someone attest to that or am I just having a brain freeze.

sherpakid - I'm headed out this weekend myself to Rusk in the Catskills. Where you headed?

IndianChris, I'm headed to the lower range and then crossing through the Johns Brook Valley to BigSlide and the Brothers. Plan is to hike in via the Southern Trail, then ascend Upper wolfjaw, Armstrong, and Gothics, then come back down the same way since the cable is out and loop back to the Garden via Bigslide and the Brothers.

Have a great trip!

-26F

My record is -26F while sleeping at Crag Camp. Whenever you spill water at those temps, you can watch it crystallize right before your eyes. It's pretty amazing. That night I slept in my -20F bag. I had my down pants on in the bag and my down coat over the foot of my bag. I was fine all night.

In the morning though I had trouble keeping my feet warm. When it was colder the night before my feet were fine but in the warmer morning I couldn't keep them warm. I don't know why. Even in my Koflach Arctis Expes they were getting numb real quick. I had my feet in the sleeping bag most of time while cooking and packing. I ended up throwing my boots on and running down the trail until I warmed up. I think when it's -10F or lower I need overboots.

BTDT a few times to -30F-ish. It's a real treat to have to warm the fuel to get it to ignite.:eek:

Funniest experience came at a slightly warmer temp. I got up and started making breakfast. It seemed cold, and I asked my late-rising tentmate to tell me what the thermometer registered where I had just hung it on a branch. He reported that it was "fifteen." I continued to get breakfast ready and felt a little cold in my toes for fifteen. Then I glanced over at a half-empty bottle of wine that laid frozen in a snowbank.

"Say, how cold did you say it was?
"Fifteen. But it's gone down some now."
" What it is now?
"It's gone down to twenty-two."
"DOWN to twenty-two?? How the hell could it go DOWN from fifteen to twenty-two? Oh."

My coldest camping saw the thermometer pegged at -40° F at daylight after each of two nights on a long weekend in a leanto at Lake Colden, February 1967. Had adequate fires for cooking and some warmth at mealtimes. We were not prepared for mountain ascents, so hung around the lake and Opalescent Brook area. Spent pleasant hours in the ranger’s cabin kitchen, talking with with caretaker Charlie Nolan and drinking much tea. Charlie closed up all parts of the cabin except the kitchen to minimize space that had to be heated during the winter.

Was young and foolish then, and had a blast. Old and foolish, now, but have developed a powerful affection for soft, warm beds, hot showers and other homelike amenities at night when temps plummet.

G.