Solo hiking above treeline in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

It's that time of year again when the snowshoes and crampons come off the shelf. The time of year when an otherwise PITA hassle can become a life-threatening event. There is a recent article in AMC Outdoors about the nature of risk, and there's the recent report about the gentleman who broke his leg and was carried out of Tuckerman Ravine. These types of stories get me wondering about people being alone above treeline in the Whites in winter conditions. I'm curious how people feel about this. I want to focus specifically on the practice of hiking solo above treeline in winter conditions. I know it's simple to find a statistic saying things such as it's more dangerous driving to the trailhead than blah blah blah. Yes, with a little effort, we can find a favorable statistic for almost anything. But I'm not talking about statistics and other risky behaviors. I'm talking strictly about these specific factors: solo, above treeline, winter weather. Do you do it? If so, do you feel selfish for doing it? Does it put a strain on the family? Do you ever get back to the car and say "that was stupid, I shouldn't have done that." Did you used to do it, but stopped for some reason? Etc.

Solo hiking in winter...

Its not the best idea, but when its between that and not hiking at all, i will hike alone. I will try to stick to areas that I know (and were they will probably be other people hiking) and I will be checking the weather and trail conditions updates very carefully (as usual). I let people know were I am going. You give yourself a very reasonable turn around time and bring the usual security stuff...
No I dont feel guilty if I think that I take enough precautions...
They are risks involved in winter hiking, thats part of the activity...

http://community.webshots.com/user/louis2505

Well, this may a no brainer, but:

Hiking - some risk
Solo hiking - riskier
Solo hiking in Winter - riskier still
Solo hiking in Winter above tree line - you get the picture...

I did go up and over Gothics once solo in the winter, but I had companions who were following me, and the winds were calm, with high visibility. Aside from that, I probably would not risk it.

I think it is pretty risky everywhere - I have taken many a nice spill below tree line...I will not solo in winter. My worst one was about 1/2 mile up the Starr King trail - severe anke sprain - x-rays and everything...still flares up occasionally 18 months later.
Strain at home yes - wife had a brief break in the summer and did not mind me soloing - but once again she is dead against it...it is a non issue for me this time of year as I will not do it.
As far as stupid stuff - I am getting better about doing less of it - my biggest errors always seem to involve waiting too long to put on the appropriate gear - warmer jacket - dry hat - stabilicers or crampons - take the ice axe off the pack, stopping to eat or drink, etc...my latest hikes have shown me that I am capable of learning from my mistakes!

Excellent thread and this is something that I have thought about from time to time.

I agree with Tom that going above treeline in winter does present a higher level of risk, but also agree with Louis and Mike that you can certainly reduce the risk involved. I definitely make sure that I am prepared for winter hiking, especially when going above treeline.

That all being said, as a primary income earner, husband and father, I do tend to worry about something bad happening in winter hiking above treeline and the long term impact of a serious accident. As a result, I only occasionally venture up high and rarely alone. I do feel safer with a hiking partner, but still tend to be concerned.

A secondary factor that dissuades me from going above treeline in winter is that I really hate high winds and extremely low temps combined. Although I love the beauty and wildness in the alpine zone during the winter, I dislike the extreme cold even more.

Marty

Last edited:
Since we only backpack in winter,I can't really relate to solo hiking. Carrying full overnight gear in winter would be too damn heavy to do it solo,and besides,my wife is a willing hiking partner.
It would seem that solo hiking in warmer weather,or on really popular trails wouldn't carry nearly as much risk as a lesser used trail in winter conditions. When it's blowing 30 and the temps are below 0,there's little margin for error,and having a hiking partner to assist could be really important. In these conditions,if you get into trouble, and you're solo,and it's unlikely that someone will be coming along that trail-you could be in a life threatening situation.

And besides,ya gotta have someone to share a beer with at the end of the hike! :D

I guess it all depends on where you are. I soloed Algonuin and iriquois a few februarys back, but the weather was beatiful and there was 60 people on the mountain that day. Was I really alone?

In the morning the visibility was crap and I turned back after summiting. But after a few groups passed and the weather looked better I went back up.

On the other hand, the presidentials have much more land above tree line. This means many more wrong directions to travel in bad conditions (without the use of gps). It also means more distance to travel before returning to treeline (more time and energy) and people tend to be more spread out on these peaks. Not to mention there are spots up there that may have considerable to extreme avalanche danger and winds that impede travel altogether.

If you do go alone (as do I when noone else can). know your sh_t! Is the weather suitable for me alone? How is the snow stability? I would still recomend meeting a group on the trail and traveling together.

I would also have the proper gear to keep myself warm (full bivy gear, cheese, chocolate) in the event of an injury and instruments (radios, phone) to extract myself from the situation.

Often times safety is a matter of appreciating your personal limits and the decisions you make. (weather and how many other people are on the mountain are also things to consider)

Depends on your:
* Skill level
* Experience
* Equipment
* Terrain
* Distance from cover
* Escape routes
* Travel and weather conditions
* Secondary risk to others
* Goals
* Comfort zone
etc.

Its a personal decision.

Doug

If all the issues mentioned in the post above check out ok, solo above treeline in winter can be a wonderful experience....to sit on top of a presidential at the end of the day, looking around at glistening white peaks, knowing you're the only one on top that day...pretty cool!
And, if you pray, you're solo but not alone.

I know a hiker who has hiked solo above treeline
about 10 times
a year
for 40 years.
carefully.

Do it all the time. I also ski, walk in the woods, and various other outdoor activities alone, too.

Weather permitting, of course.

Depends on your experience, IMO you work up to it gradually. I do about 50% of all my hikes solo, to date, I've done Ike, Pierce on the same trip solo, South Twin also. On the right day I would feel okay doing Madison & Adams & Monroe. I was attempting Monroe this past March & ended up hooking up with anither solo hiker so I did not consider it a solo trip.

Monadnock is a good tune up, weather not as bad but rocks covered with ice so they look alike can be issue, especially if foggy so you can't rely on scenery.

Last edited:
I agree with doug p and mike p :) :) :cool: :cool:

it depends on who you are, what your comfy level is, etc..

I normally don't only becuase I like company. But - I have soloed washington, adams, madison and franconia ridge in the winter (good weather) - didn't really think it was any sort of big deal or it was some huge risk to be honest. If busted my leg and couldn't walk out - then yea things would be different. But - i think in reality, thats a pretty rare event.

most bad accidents in the whites to the best of my knowledge are ice climbers and backcountry skiers - and those are low IMO compared to the sheer numbers that go in there. Not saying the hills shouldn't be respected, but they ain't killing zones either - judgement baby - judgement.

Last edited:
If I had to hike with others I would not hike. Mrs. Forestgnome is the only partner I'd consider, so...

I only go above treeline in winter on those gorgeous bluebird days. Otherwise, I don't really enjoy it. Even on those mild days, I enjoy the danger that I know lurks just in being where I am. It's part of the beauty of the place.

No steep headwalls for me. I stick to things like Boott Spur or Crawford Path. I witnessed a huge avalanche, and another time I saw boulders tumble down the Tuckerman Headwall within a hundred feet of hikers. Now that is dangerous.

I stick to my itinerary absolutely, and I bring clothing that will truly allow me to survive being stranded overnight.

Happy Trails :)

Yes I have hiked solo above treeline in winter...in the dark...without my headlamp on...with bears all around. :D...and I'll do it again. :p

Yes it is risky. There are risks with everything we do...as well as with everything we don't do.

See you on the trail some night...or not! ;)

giggy said:
most bad accidents in the whites to the best of my knowledge are ice climbers and backcountry skiers
Might be worth separating the backcountry skiers into two separate groups: Those who ski the steeps (risk of long falls, falling ice and rock, and avalanches) and those who don't.

The risk profile of those who XC ski the logging roads and railroad beds is a bit different from those who ski the slides, gullies, and headwalls.

Doug

Last edited:
dvbl said:
I'm talking strictly about these specific factors: solo, above treeline, winter weather.....

Do you do it? Occasionally.
If so, do you feel selfish for doing it? Nope.
Does it put a strain on the family? Yup. All solo hiking does. I'm leaving other responsibilities. But, we put up with each other's differences.
Do you ever get back to the car and say "that was stupid, I shouldn't have done that." Oh, yeah. But that also applies to all season hiking.

Generally, I don't solo above tree line in winter for one reason: I'm a slacker. Just not really interested in the possibility of having to break trail if the wind has blown snow into the trail. This laziness extends to a dislike of carrying the gear necessary to survive overnight in the alpine zone. The survival gear I'm hauling in winter weighs enough to begin with. Adding to it is deterrent enough.

I don't even like putting forth the effort to change my foot tread -- I've been known to butt glissade things I should be hiking in crampons and then hike miles with crampons on because I just don't feel like taking them off.

And that's why I only "occasionally" hike above tree line in winter. I know my weaknesses. As with all things hiking, I keep that in mind and choose my hikes accordingly.

I don't get it

Maybe I'm a moron, but I've never really understood why solo hiking, winter or otherwise, is considered to be significantly more dangerous than hiking with a group. You guys state this as if it goes without saying but you're going to have to spell it out for me. Here is what I am looking for.

1. How many winter hikes occur.
2. How many times an unacceptably bad thing happens when winter hikes occur.
3. How many of those unacceptably bad things happened because it was a solo winter hike. (or in the case of the original thesis: a solo winter hike above treeline)

The risk would be (2-3)/1

I suspect that the answer would be around 0.0000001. That is, the risk of winter hiking vs solo winter hiking is about 1 part per gazillion.

And the risk of winter hiking in general would be about 1 part per million.

The biggest variables are weather and judgement. I would rather hike Mt. Jefferson alone on crisp, sunny, calm February day, than with an army of EMT's during a blizzard.

I hope I cleared this up for everyone.

jus' sayin'
:rolleyes:

Pig Pen said:
Here is what I am looking for.....

I get what you're sayin'...but, the numbers just aren't available for comparison. No one really knows how many solo hikers and groups start out and finish to compare to how many have accidents, survivable or not. It's an unknown factor.

It is assumed that your chances of survival improve if you have companions. Of course, the are the infamous examples of when that isn't the case.

I get your point about weather and such, but all things being equal, I believe that those of us who choose to solo need to go the extra mile when it comes to erring on the side of caution.