backcountry skiing gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Being that I am, unfortunately, out of action (hiking/skiing/backpacking) for the next 5 months due to shoulder surgery, I figured I would get a jump on next winter by doing some advanced planning and research.

This winter I had planned on doing some x-country skiing in the Daks as an alternative to Snowshoes. I thought it might be fun.

Now, I have plenty of time on my hands to get things together for next winter.

I have done some x-country skiing and consider myself at a little past beginner stage. I have a few years of downhill experience. Blues and blacks with some black and blues (and a shoulder injury) to bear testament.

I would like to acquire some cross country skiis. I am totally ignorant as far as knowing what to look for.

i.e. brand, type, length

Obviously, I would like to use them with backpacking/peak bagging/day tripping in mind.

So, is there any useful information anyone can spare?

Brother, can you spare a mind?

I can see there is a lot of gear for different purposes for skiing. Just like everything else. I shouldn't be surprised.

I am not inclined to presume I am experienced enough to to do anything extremely technical. I definately won't go swooshing through trees or flying off cliffs, at least not intentionally.

I was thinking, for example, in the Daks, a long approach like the one to Allen, or the Sewards and beyond, Santanoni's where it is a fairly flat long approach where I could ski in, dismount and grab a peak or two then ski out.

Initially, something easier and something to build up some experience and confidence. Then after that I could challenge myself slowly, a bit more.

Thanks in advance,

Zer0-G

To answer wtih a very broad brush...

First, it's all about the boots. Make sure your boots fot you well and are fairly supportive. When shopping for skis, focus on boards that are stable. You don't need to worry so much about a faster, gliding ski since you won't have yet acquired the balance or technique. Think stable all the way.

One way to gain some experience and knowledge would be to join an AMC (or other) backcountry/cross country ski trip. This could give you a good knowledge base and a try before you buy option.

And, most importantly, don't forget that skiing is the best thing ever.

Woody48 said:
Just remember - no one set up does it all. :confused:
You say that as if it's a bad thing. This is why I own 10 pairs of skis. :D

BTW, I'm not the Dave M in question.

-dave-

bc skis

I got some great advice from both Daves, DougPaul and other members a while back. Look for a thread on Atomic Rainiers or search using the advanced search feature and put in my screenname. I have asked several ski questions just like yours and the responses will be very helpful.

I'd also look over on telemarktips.com in the telemarktalk forum. Do the same thing, either search for my name or backcountry or similar search terms and you'll find a bunch of threads on choosing bc gear including skis, boots and bindings.

Depending on what you plan on doing, Atomic and Fischer make a number of suitable skis, Voile and Rottefella among others, make several styles of bindings, then there are both leather and plastic boots to choose from. I just bought a pair of Atomic Rainiers-not the best ski for deep powder, but kind of a step up from the skinny track skis and reasonably priced. The Fischer Rebound is pretty much the same ski from what I understand. I'm going to put Voile 3 pin cable bindings on mine and am looking for a lightweight plastic boot. Can't tell you how they ski-this is all new to me, but the other members here speak highly of them.

Last edited: