Catskills snowshoes or not?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtHiker

Reaction score
Ok currently i do not have snowshoes, I have crampons for ice and slick trails. I am going backpacking this weekend from Spruceton rd up to Diamond notch, bushwacking to SW Hunter and then bushwacking to Hunter. Am I gauranteeing that there will be a blizzard if i do not rent snow shoes for this trip? Also has anybody been up there recently is there enough snow that I will need them now?

Looking at the trail conditions report on this site seems like crampons are a must as well as ice axes on the steepest of Terrain. Check the trail conditions reports from yesterday.

I was last there during the warm spell and there was about 8 inches above 3000ft but snowshoe or crampons were not needed. With this cold snap there was no major snow and I am sure the snow from last week froze pretty good. To be safe it is always a good idea to bring both snowshoes and Crampons you never know conditions can change quickly.

Last edited:
As of Wednesday ther is no appreciable snow up here in the Catskills. We are hoping and praying, though.
ecc

I did a run up the Thruway today to Albany and it "appears" that you might be able to use snowshoes on Windham High Peak, but thats about it. From the actual trails I've been on in the least 2 weeks, I'd have to say that we're not "there" yet. But believe me, I'm with ya' and I'll be one of the first out there when "it" happens. Cold, but no real snow yet.
Tom