Winter hiking and removing ice balls on Labrador Paws???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
I hiked yesterday with Rick who has strong and budding interest in winter hiking. He thinks his black labrador retriever is good candidate to accompany him on these adventures, but last winter on one outing he became concerned for the well being of his dog when his paws became encrusted in ice and he found couldn't very readily remove the ice balls. I told him I've seen many labs and retrievors on winter hikes and many of whom subscibe to VFTT. So I thought I'd post this question to see how dog owning winter hikers deal with this problem.

I use ruffwear bark-n-boots. They are the greatest thing for my Golden. He loves when they get broken out, because he knows it means hike-time. I have used a few different companies before ruffwear, but they are the best in my book.--I do not work for the company, so this is not a business endorsement, just the best solution for the paws of my dog...

LIke Klutz I use Petroleum Jelly on my Golden and Shepherds feet. It works well and is such an easy solution. However for long trips I think the boots may have better protection against cuts. I havnt figured out what works well yet. I will see if I can locate the boots recomended by Hillman.

Yeah, good luck with the boots, our dog wouldn't keep them on for long, she'd be trying to get them off. It'd be pretty funny watching her too, she looks like she stepped on something hot, trying to get them off..... :D and the face on her.....She has the puppy dog look, like what are you doing to me??? She doesn't much like the petroleum jelly, never mind trying to get her to wear boots....

Jacko said:
I will see if I can locate the boots recomended by Hillman.
You can buy they directly from Ruff Wear - here's a link. No one makes a pair big enough from my Newf, so I made a pair using 1000d Cordura. Not as fancy, but they'd work in an emergency.

Keeping the hair clipped is essentail - most don't like you to do it as it tickles their feet. I've also used the Mushers Wax - it's a bit messy so I don't apply it until we're nearly ready to go. Have found that it's not necessary in all conditions - i.e., colder = less need. Newfies are prone discomfort from iceballs as they have webbed feet, and balls create pressure in places that other dogs don't have.

During the coldest of weather I've had to do feet trimming about every 3 weeks - seems the colder it is/more frequent the dog is out in it, the faster/thicker the hair grows.

Last edited:
I've tried a number of things over the years and do not find that any one thing works best for all dogs, or even a single dog in all conditions. Some of the solutions:

Trimming fur to bottom of feet
Trimming fur between toes
Spraying feet with a spray oil such as Pam
Applying vaseline
Musher's wax
Booties

I've gotten away from trimming fur the past several years because I've noticed it increases the likelihood of abrasions in the nail bed and webbing. My guess is that the longer fur acts to protect these areas.

Oil and vaseline both require frequent reapplication. Wax too, but less so.

Booties are tried and true, but few people take the time to work with their dog to introduce them positively and gradually. Try laying on the floor with your dog, put one bootie on, then take it off within 10 seconds. Gradually increase time and number of booties. Once your dog will lay with them on for 5 minutes, ask the dog to get up. Make sure this is on non-slip flooring. After a few weeks of this, begin to ask them to walk around.

One method I learned here to help keep booties on in the snow is to wind vetrap around the dog's leg about where the top of the bootie will go. Put the bootie on. Wind duct tape around the top of the bootie, taping it to the vetrap.

As always, be sure to check your dog's paws frequently in winter conditions, especially if it is icy.

My lab, Boo so far seems immune to winter temps, but the reminder about clipping the fur between the pads sounds like a good idea.
She jumps into streams in January. Her fur is such a good insulator that the water freezes on the outside of her coat.