directions to Green Hill, Jackson, NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I can see it on the map, next to (or part of) Iron Mtn., and I've been up at the Iron Mtn. trailhead. AMC guide mentions it but gives no trail desccription. Where's the trailhead?

Thanks.

Duck's Head Trail

I seem to remember that this trail was built/maintained in the (far) past by the former Iron Mountain House in Jackson. I thought I saw that in Forest and Crag, but I can't find it now. Maybe it was somewhere else. The Lost trails site yields this map. The rest of the map is at Maptech. My 1983 AMC map shows the trail in the same location as a thin dotted line. Here's a photo looking up the ridge from the Mt. Washington Obs site. I also remember another photo on that site that shows the old hotel after the fire a few years ago. Now there's a new restaurant there.

I've never hiked there, so I really don't have any better info. Good luck!

Thanks! That's why I could not find a trailhead. :eek: I've been to the top of Iron Mt., but I don't remember seeing a trail heading that way, but I didn't look for one either.

Happy Trails :)

Looks like it would branch off the trail to the cliffs/mines

When I was there ~30 years ago there were various lines of cairns, but I never tried to follow them

The old Ducks Head trail head is connected to the Jackson Ski Touring center's Troll Trail. The Troll trail connects the golf course area of the Ellis River trail to the Red Fox restaurant. Coming from the restaurant the trail is obvious. Make a left at the first intersection, and shortly after that the trailhead is obvious to the left. At first it is easy to follow, with some exceptional markings on trees, then not so easy. I've only followed it to the old Iron Mountain ski area, but my old maps say it continues.

There's no official trail to Green Hill. I've bushwhacked over from Iron and it wasn't the worst woods but it wasn't the best either. I spotted what might have been a few sections of the old trail, but it's been taken back by nature. East of Green Hill is a fantastic ledge with a panoramic view up Pinkham Notch. There is a bootleg trail to this ledge, but I am not 100% sure where it begins.

Go to the NH historical Topo maps page. Click on the North Conway NW corner from 1945. You’ll see the trail leave from the summit of Iron Mtn. and run across the ridge to Green Hill. The old trail ran right down Ducks Head to where the Red Fox is. There also are remnants of the ski hill equipment just up the hill from the red fox parking lot. At least there was as of a few years ago.