Turning Tracklog on and off?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Using a Garmin GPS Map60CSx, does anyone know what happened when you stop for a long break and turn the tracklog off?
I'd like to do this at lunch breaks so the tracklog doesn't 'wander' while you stop for 15 or 30 minutes.

If you go to menu-menu-tracklogs, you can switch off the tracklog.
When your break is over, can you repeat the process, turn the tracklog back on, and theh have it display as one, continuous track when you save it at the end of the hike?

Thanks,
Peakbagr

Alan,
To avoid this sort of problem I configure my unit to write a new trackpoint every 50 or 100 meters as opposed to every "x" minutes. This way, I have no problems with getting a thick constellation of trackpoints when I stop. Or, when you stop you can leave the unit powered on but turn off the gps. Dunno about your puppy but I can do that with my Rino 130. 2 other solutions might be to turn the unit off completely or to turn off the tracklog recorder.

It probably puts a break in the track. You can join the tracks later.

If need be, save the tracklog as a GPX file. You can edit it with a text editor--the file format is obvious upon inspection. It is easy to identify points in mapsource.

Doug

DougPaul said:
...It is easy to identify points in mapsource.

Doug
I'd echo this - easy and quick to edit a track, rename waypoints created on the trail, etc using Mapsource. I tend to delete a few of the points created on the steeps or at rest-stops so that the track isn't too busy, especially on tracks/maps I know I'll be re-using later.

Peakbagr said:
Using a Garmin GPS Map60CSx, does anyone know what happened when you stop for a long break and turn the tracklog off?
I'd like to do this at lunch breaks so the tracklog doesn't 'wander' while you stop for 15 or 30 minutes.

If you go to menu-menu-tracklogs, you can switch off the tracklog.
When your break is over, can you repeat the process, turn the tracklog back on, and theh have it display as one, continuous track when you save it at the end of the hike?

Thanks,
Peakbagr

Can't help. My tracklogs don't wander.

But you will lose the overall continuous data having a break in it. Total time,stopped time,moving time,average speed,etc.

But with the newer joining tool Garmin has it may connect all the data again. Like overall average speed,etc. But I would think something would have to give with a blank in the track to affect the data of the hike if you care about any of those things.

Thanks everyone. Turned the tracklog(not the GPS) off on the summit of Cave Mt yesterday for lunch, and back on as we set off afterward.
Not a break or blip in the tracklog.