Mt Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
With a forecast that varied from partially sunny to showers, we headed up from the Roaring Brook trail. The normally wet bottom of the trail was soggy from the recent rain, but otherwise in fine condition.
The trail climbs steeply on what looked like an old tote road in many places.
A good way up, the Roaring Brook trail ends at the Sperry Campground where we picked up the Hopper Trail. We followed this for a while until taking a short detour to a beautiful pond framing the rime-iced trees. We chose to take the road to the summit, to enhance our chances for a few views, as it was apparent that the summit was fogged in. Walking the road for the last part, we got good looks at Adams, MA and the surrounding countryside, again, over rimed trees.
The higher we went, the deeper the fog, and we stopped off in the stone and glass emergency shelter(open all year) located just below the summit. Here we had lunch and speculated on what an interesting winter destination it would be with its wood stove, wood burning oven, and combination bench-sleeping platforms.
During lunch, a lightly-clad mountain biker stopped in for a few momemts and there were others peddling by.
After a bite to eat, we walked around the summit and then up to the mounument. We descended as far down as we could on the road as the traction was good and it had been snowing lightly. We cut back over to the Roaring Brook trail and then back to the cars.
Dick, Joann, Boo and I were especially happy to welcome my friend Carlo back to the States after his annual sabbattical to the Dolomites. He and his wife joined us and it was a pleasure to have his advice on the trail selection and routes as Greylock is one of his favorite haunts.
Amazingly enough, this was the first time Dick and Joann had hiked in MA, and I have a feeling they'll be back to Greylock.
Bookah gave the hike a "4-wag rating" for company and interesting things to look at and sniff.

Just curious...

How would the Greylock road be for snowshoeing, xc skiing, sled rides? Anything like the Whiteface (NY) road?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Pat T

I think the Greylock road is too gradual for snowshoeing, and with all sorts of great trail options for the 'shoes I would opt for them. Now, xcountry skiing is another thing. I've never done it there but I think that would work pretty well. But I also think it gets some heavy snowmobile travel so there could be some compatibility issues there. See what others think...

Here we had lunch and speculated on what an interesting winter destination it would be with its wood stove, wood burning oven, and combination bench-sleeping platforms.

I went to that shelter back in early March. Some other hikers and I fired up two of the stoves, never got the building up to temp but it was real nice having two warm stoves in the cold :)

I was hiking up there last weekend. Just up Mt Williams and down the farm trail back to the gate on Notch Road. The gate was locked shut already. I spoke with a DCR employee and he said their was a moose on the road, but I didn't get to see him.
take care, Eric

Lovetohike said:
I think the Greylock road is too gradual for snowshoeing, and with all sorts of great trail options for the 'shoes I would opt for them. Now, xcountry skiing is another thing. I've never done it there but I think that would work pretty well. But I also think it gets some heavy snowmobile travel so there could be some compatibility issues there. See what others think...

Here is the DCR winter use map for Greylock: link

I have skiied both the Notch and Rockwell Rds. very nearly on an annual basis. Notch Rd. is steeper and shorter but not necessarily faster. If you are a skate skier and the groomer has been over the road you can move along pretty quickly on Rockwell Rd. If you like diagonal stride wait for a light snowfall and get out early to help your skis track. On icy conditions the roads are not much fun. Be prepared for lots of snowmobiles, especially on weekends. Either route is a long haul so budget lots of time unless you are in great shape and have fast skis and good climbing technique. The trip back down is usually fast but the grade is not as constant as on the Whiteface Rd. so be prepared to have to work on a few sections to keep up your speed and there are even some short uphills heading down on the Rockwell Rd.

There are alternative routes to ski, some of which see less snowmobile traffic but they need some describing. Drop me a p.m. if you want the more involved answer.

bcskier

Nice photos, Edelweiss. Thanks for posting.

And thanks for the info and map, bcskier. Even though Greylock is in my home state, I've only driven up the road. The monument is visible from some highpoints in Eastern Mass. I need to get out there and do some exploring.

Pat T

Trail Guide?

Nice trip report and pictures. I'm hoping to Hike this Mountain in a few weeks. Any suggestions for written trail descriptions and Maps. Thanks..glad you had such a good time!

Mt. Greylock Trail Guide

skiguy said:
Nice trip report and pictures. I'm hoping to Hike this Mountain in a few weeks. Any suggestions for written trail descriptions and Maps. Thanks..glad you had such a good time!

There is a trail guide published by the Williams College Outing Club. You might try contacting the Mountain Goat to see if they have a copy.

Ski Guy,
I have a copy of the AMC's MA and RI trail guide. It is all in there with topo maps too.
Take care, Eric

Thanks for the Info. I picked up The AMC Mass. Guide. Looks like I'm all set!