Platte Clove Rd Open?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pitch-here's a shout out from your former stomping grounds, New Paltz.

Anyhow, I had heard from a guy at work (who regular drives up to Hunter) that Platte Clove Rd was closed back in October, when the Catskills got some early snow. It warmed up considerably earlier this month, and all the snow melted. I know for a fact that Platte Clove Rd was passable as of last Saturday, because I climbed Sugarloaf and Plateau with Alistair and he used PCR both coming and going. But, there was apparently some precip up there either Saturday night or Sunday morning, and the work guy now tells me he heard someone went off the road, into the clove on Sunday. :eek: I haven't been able to find anything verifying that yet. I'd say whether or not the road is officially closed, it's probably kind of risky at this point. So there's your totally definitive answer. :rolleyes: I'll post again if I hear anything.

Matt

I do not have a definitive answer on Platte Clove Road either. Night time temperatures are below freezing, and it does not take much icing to make the road unsafe. To be on the safe side you might want to plan on using one of the detours detailed below.

The highway departments do try to keep Platte Clove Road open for as long as possible, especially since NY 23A is still closed in the Kaaterskill Clove. It had been thought that NY 23A might reopen this week, but there has been no media reports that it has reopened and one of the DOT websites is reporting a planned post Thanksgiving reopening:
NY 23A
closed to traffic on NY 23A in both directions from Route 32A Palenville to County Route 25 since 3:30 PM, 06/26/06 until 5:00 PM, 11/30/06 due to storm damage and road reconstruction
Comment: This closure is between Palenville and Haines Falls.
For safety reasons, there is NO VEHICLE OR PEDESTRIAN ACCESS to the Bastion Falls/Kaaterskill Falls.
Detour from Catskill and points east: use Rt 23 west to Route 296 south to Route 23A.
Detour from Saugerties: Route 32 North to Route 23 west to Route 296 South to Route 23A.
Detour from points south: use Rt 28 west from Kingston area to Route 214 north to Route 23A.​
The other DOT website is also indicating that 23A is still closed.

Thanks for the replies gents. I searched every state/local govt. website that I could find, but still found nothing definitive on the road's open/closed status. Instead of a quick run up the Devil's Path Mtns, I opted for Slide Mtn instead this morning.

I needed to squeeze in some mountain miles while "home" visiting for the holiday :) . Oh how I do miss the sweet smell of balsams on the Catskill summits!