West Cave and Cave Mt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
From Rik over on one of the other boards. Really nice day with good companions and conversation"

"Caves

Since I haven't been getting out much and it looked to be a nice weather day I took an extra day off for some hiking. After coordinating with Alan, Dick, and Joanne it looked like a Catskill hike was in order. Alan had gotten permission from the ski area to climb West Cave and Cave via the ski slopes and since this seemed like a great choice during hunting season I quickly agreed. After driving down to Albany I jumped in Joanne's car and off we went. Arriving at Windham Mountain ski area we parked and surveyed the choices. There was snowmaking going on but only on some of the slopes. We plotted a snowless route and off we went. Bookah in her orange vest and Dick in his matching hat we worked our way towards West Cave. We started on the Wonderama trail until that ended then we crossed over and climbed the steep Wedel trail. The ground was frozen in the morning hours and soon we were on top. The views north over the ski slopes were great. The views to the south were through the trees. We walked across the summit to the lift on top where we took some pictures. Here there was more snowmaking going on. It was kind of like being on a windy winter summit since there was blowing snow and we had to almost shout over the sound of the snow guns. After exploring the summit area a bit we started down some trail towards Cave. The top was snow and ice covered as were the trees. We could see our route to Cave which, after a short decent, left the ski trail and became more of an atv track. It was flagged in spots and there was some paint on trees but the path was easy enough to follow. It lead us to the top of Cave and the top of another ski lift. We spent some time exploring the woods behind the lift and had lunch on what we took for the highest rock. Again the views were through the trees. Lots of deer sign in the woods. We had seen lots of tracks coming up the ski slopes as well. At lunch I looked for my water which was missing either when I added a layer or it was still in the trunk of the car. I guess I didn't need it. On the way down we took the gradual Wanderer trail. It was muddy and wet in spots. The snowmaking had ended for the day as I believe the temps warmed up. With the lodge in site we walked down the terrain park trail which I think was called Jib Park. Soon we were back at the car where I found my water in the back. Bookah slept on my lap for the ride back to Albany and my car. The sunset as I neared home was spectacular. Pink, purple, orange, yellow, blue,... and everything in between. Thanks to the crew for a good time. Alan, thank you for coordinating. Joanne, thank you for driving. And Dick, well, thank you for wearing that hat. Nice to get out".

Rik

Here's a LINK to the original thread. There is some interesting stuff from Mark S in there.

Great pics Joanne.

Last edited: