Replenish your first aid kit when contents get used!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took a spill which led to lots of abrasions, lots of bleeding (nothing serious). Cleaning up the mess used much of what I had in my first aid kit. I knew that I had to refill it that night, before I forgot.

Well, that night I was tired, and said I will get to it tomorrow ...

Today I took a spill on some black ice, way down on the Mt. Osceola Trail (well before I put my stabilicers on). I remembered that I had not refilled my first aid kit, and wondered what I would find in it.

Fortunately there was enough stuff to deal with the small cut I had, but there were absolutely no sterile cotton pads, the basic tool for dressing anything that needs more than a Band-Aid.

It has now been replenished, and I wanted to share the (obvious) lesson with you.

An important reminder, yet so easy to forget. I've done the same thing, though it is typically with "Vitamin I" or blister pads. I get home after using them (or sharing them with a partner) on a hike and am too tired to unpack and refill the same evening. Before I go out the next time I pack the first-aid kit (on my check list) completely forgetting I used it on the previous hike. I've started leaving the empty packaging material in an obvious location just to jog my memory.

Desi Hiker

Worst sin

Worst sin is carrying first aid kit for years without much usage and items get wet wipes are no longer wet or kit gets wet on wet hikes and items become mildewed. Check that kit periodically to check items are still fresh.

I don't get out as much as I would like. So every trip I have a shakedown. I inspect bags, stove, fuel bottles, first aid kits, water filter, headlamps batteries etc. I give myself enough time to be able to fix a problem if one is found. I have been out with a stove that malfunctioned (Manufacturers defect) never again. Some may think it is overboard. I have a friend I climb with from time to time. He inspects his gear after a trip and before a trip. I know it is a different situation but safety is the bottom line.

This is a good reminder. Thanks

I carry a number of meds in small amounts, all over the counter, that are rarely used. This includes: immodium plus, benadryl, iodine tablets, tylenol, ibuprofen, first aid cream and a disinfectant of some kind.

I check these things annually for supply, which usually hasn't changed much, and also for expiration dates. This is typically done before my first extended trip each year when I know I must plan extra time for preparation.

... getting around to restocking, now that's another challenge.