Great Slide of East Dix - 11/25/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alavigne

Reaction score
After having failed to ascend this route at the end of October (because of a thin layer of snow covering the slide), we tried again on this fine November day.

Almost no snow to be found, but the cold nights did produce a thick layer of ice on the lower portion of the slide, which we cramponed up. The upper portion was nice and dry, and the day was quite warm (for this time of year). This was my first time up this most excellent slide.

Water levels were much lower than the last time I was in the Boquet valleys, and so stream crossings were pretty easy later in the day when the surface ice on boulders had melted. I've now finally done the entire length of the 'correct' herdpath route.

A complete trip report with lots of images and a good track can be found at this link
right here.

Great trip report and pictures. Congratulations on an excellent accomplishment. Funny, I don't mind steep ups that much, but that one shot of Jenn downclimbing on the solid ice with her crampons gave me the willies a bit, just kept thinking about the consequences of a slip... I know it wasn't really steep angle, but still, I've tended to have some of my scarier falls going down mixed rock, water and ice. Again, give you all credit for tackling this, up and down!