Easy winter camping spots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gforce

Reaction score
Trying to setup a few easier winter camping trips for early next year and was looking for suggestions for single night trips in the White mountains.

1) I'm looking for a 0-7 mi. ski/snow shoe in with an appropriate camp site at end.

2) Established campsite or shelter is fine. But definitely interested in more isolated sites as well. (I'm not asking for your secret spots :rolleyes: )

3) Does not necessarily need to be at or near treeline. Although I would like to hear about higher elevation spots.

4) Hopefully has some interesting views, waterfalls, or other point of interest.

Thanks
Gforce

A couple of suggestions:

Ethan Pond tent platforms/shelter 2.8 miles from Rt 302
Three Ponds shelter 2.3 miles (off Stinson Lake Rd)
Coppermine trail/Shelter (back side of Cannon)Waterfall
Osgood Platforms 2.6 miles Great Gulf to Osgood trail

Of course the nice thing about winter camping is almost anywhere legal is a good tentsite as long a there's enough snow cover.

Consider also a "backcountry base camp" legal distance in off a trail,and do your peakbagging from there. Hike in on a trail for .25 miles go at least 200 ft off trail-dump the heavier gear,and dayhike from your base. This will avoid carrying big weight for a lot of vertical.

Couple of places that come to mind as easy right away... zealand falls... its not far from there to some great views. Could potentially also hit thoreau falls.

You might also consider the oseo trail up the backside of flume mtn (a couple of ladders, though gradual overall), dont decsend the flume trail however.

Speck pond from grafton, ME may also be of interest (this is a gorgeous spot)

I am not too familiar with chocora or the northern whites due north of the presis (but I would certainly look towards waumbek as well)

Best of Luck.

If you want and suggestions for the daks I have tons.

Justin

Slippery Brook Road to Mountain Pond is closed in winter, and makes a very nice woods walk/ski to the shelter. Once at the shelter, the views from the pond are without compare!

Flat Mtn. Pond is a nice ski in.

You can ski in any of the trails that leave the East end of the Kanc. Most follow streams and are logging roads.

Hancocks, Dry River Trail are a few others.