Mt Grace on the M&M trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcloud

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has hiked this mountain in North Central MA before?
I have been doing parts of the Holyoke Range lately and would like to hike more of the M&M trail. It's really a nice trail that isn't too far for me to drive to. If someone has done this section, let me know how it is.
Thanks, Eric

Mt. Grace

I did Mt. Grace as part of an M&M end-to-end close to 20 years ago. I remember the trail up the mountain then as a fairly gradual climb through mostly hemlock forest and a wooded summit with a fire tower at the top. Nothing spectacular. The really nice section comes before it when you climb along the bare ledges of Crag Mountain. If you haven't done that section yet you are in for a treat.

bcskier

I hiked the Mount Grace section of the M&M a few years ago. The trail was ok with some views. I was disappointed when we got to the shelter. It was trashed with broken beer bottles and empty cans. It is fairly close to the road and can be accessed by 4 wheel drive. I was able to find a nice area to camp a short way from the shelter near a stream.

Many, many times.

I prefer hiking the M-M in northbound, rather than from the route 78 side. There's a very nice ridge walk with some views along the way. There's a tower on top, some nice views. If you bring a dog, beware broken glass at the summit and near the shelter. The shelter is between 78 and the summit. There is some ATV damage, but it's still a nice hill.

Crag, just south of Grace along the M-M is another nice local hill with good views.

Have fun exploring!

Mt Grace is right in my backyard, it's a pretty nice hike.