Spring/Summer Hiking questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, This is my first post! I'm Planning on doing some hiking when things get a little warmer out. Can any one suggest some warm up hikes to get me and my crew ready for a 3-4 day overnighter in the pemi wilderness. We plan on hiking up bond and bondcliff and other surrounding mountains. Any route suggestions for that hike?

Thanks alot

Kevin:D

Where do you live? When are you going? It's not uncommon to find snow around Guyot Shelter & one the Twinway between Mt. Guyot & South Twin well into June.

If looking for warm ups, The South Taconia area of CT/NY/MA will be snow free much earlier, perhaps even by mid-April depending on March & early April weather. If you have two cars you can do some great walks with great views or traverse from NY to CT, Speedsters can probably do the whole plateau in a long day.

The Holyokes will become snow free maybe even sooner & again with two cars you can Traverse the whole range in a day.

After these two watch the Trail condition reports to see when the Catskills, Greylock & Monadnock (Pumpelly trail is 9 miles RT) are next. Again with two cars you can Traverse the whole Greylock massif, starting on Route 8 & ending on Route 2. In the Catskills Devil Path provides some bone jarring inclines & declines that exercises lungs & knees. See other threads here for details on the elevation gains & losses around Hunter, Plateau & Sugarloaf.

On the other hand, some people warm up on the treadmill but IMO hiking in other places is much better & a great way to see new places.