Winter hiking in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
I'm planning some winter hiking in Maine between Christmas and New Year for a group of 5 and I've got a few questions that will help me decide wether we will be backpacking or doing day trips:

1) Is Caribou Valley Rd open in winter?

2) On the maps for the AT stretch between route 4 and 16 I see a number of campsites. Which ones have leantos amongs the following: Piazza Rock, Poplar Ridge, Spaulding, Crocker.

3) Those that stretch of the AT get a lot of traffic in winter?

4) Is West Kingfield Rd open in winter past the Rapid Stream bridge?

5) Are the motels in Stratton open in winter?

6) Any recommandations for lodging?

Thanks in advance!

Jean said:
I'm planning some winter hiking in Maine between Christmas and New Year for a group of 5 and I've got a few questions that will help me decide wether we will be backpacking or doing day trips:

1) Is Caribou Valley Rd open in winter?

2) On the maps for the AT stretch between route 4 and 16 I see a number of campsites. Which ones have leantos amongs the following: Piazza Rock, Poplar Ridge, Spaulding, Crocker.

3) Those that stretch of the AT get a lot of traffic in winter?

4) Is West Kingfield Rd open in winter past the Rapid Stream bridge?

5) Are the motels in Stratton open in winter?

6) Any recommandations for lodging?

Thanks in advance!

Jean, here are a few answers -
1. Last year at the winter gathering we were able to drive in to about the 3-mile mark. There was logging going on, which probably was the reason. Beyond that, the road was blocked by a ploughed snowbank.

2. All have leantos except Crocker.

5. Yes, being so close to Sugarloaf, the town is fairly busy in winter.

6. My only experience is with the Spillover, which was fine. The White Wolf and the Stratton are cheaper - they are probably adequate, as thousands of AT hikers will probably tell you!

audrey said:
2. All have leantos except Crocker.
Be aware that in high snow winters some of these are under the snow (i.e. you can only see the roof). I know that has been the case at Spaulding at least occasionally. Christmas-New Years is probably still early enough to avoid that.

Any one else know if Piazza Rock or Poplar Ridge are ever totally submerged? I would suspect Piazza is low enough but Poplar Ridge may be at risk.

5 and 6. The Mountainview Motel in Stratton is the closest indoor lodging to Caribou Valley Road and was an exceptionally good value when we stayed last winter. There are kitchens in many of the rooms, which is a huge plus for cooking your own enormous breakfast at 5:30 AM before you hit the trail. It is right on Rt 27. Highly recommended!
Weatherman

I also recommend the Mountainview Motel. I thought it was an incredible value for $45 a night. Their number is (207) 246-2033.

Thank you all for the input. Looking forward to my first winter trip in Maine.