Denali - West Buttress

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOC-1

Reaction score
Ever since I started winter climbing 15 years ago in the Adirondacks and White Mountains I thought about climbing the West Buttress route on Denali someday. I'm sure there are a few others on this board who have had the same idea. At first, such a big trip was unrealistic because I lacked the skills, experience, time and money to do it. But over the years I've done a lot of climbing, here in the northeast and out west on glaciated peaks (e.g., Rainier's Liberty Ridge). My job and family life can now accomodate a 4-week absence. And I probably can juggle the money issues (specialized gear, flights, etc.). But finding skilled partners who are in the same place is another matter. My regular climbing partners are younger (I'm 47), and just in a different place in their lives.

If you're a like-minded person who wants to seriously explore the idea of a climb of the West Buttress in 2008, send me a PM. Perhaps we can meet up sometime this winter in the Adirondacks or White Moutains to begin the discussion. - Al

Hey Al:

I would love to join you, but I am not sure its feasible with my schedule, besides a few more years experience would be wise on my part as well. 2008 is a ways off though, good luck!

Did you mention this to Dave (wonder what he would say to all that cold)?

Btw... I will keep you posted on zoar valley ice conditions as they become more relevant. And if you want some cold weather practice we have a trip coming up in January to the whites...

Best Regards,
Justin