Uploading pics and trip data via satellite.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Question for the experts:

Suppose you wanted to upload via a satphone to a website on a daily basis: pictures, text, video (probably only weekly) and a gps log while on a long trip in winter (30+ days before resupply). What would you use for your technology? (Batteries can be recharged with a solar charger.) I am thinking PDA or palmtop PC, rental satphone, simple digicamera with a polarizing filter, and small hand held videocam. Is it possible to connect the cameras and gps through the PDA into the phone?

Also, is there a way to get the data directly onto a website without having a webmaster process it?

Having rented a satphone before, be prepared for serious battery usage and low transmission rates if you are wanting to upload data (rather than voice). I am not sure of the bandwidth these days of data over satphones but I think it is about 9600bps at best the last time I looked at it...

Jay

Neil said:
Question for the experts:

Suppose you wanted to upload via a satphone to a website on a daily basis: pictures, text, video (probably only weekly) and a gps log while on a long trip in winter (30+ days before resupply). What would you use for your technology? (Batteries can be recharged with a solar charger.) I am thinking PDA or palmtop PC, rental satphone, simple digicamera with a polarizing filter, and small hand held videocam. Is it possible to connect the cameras and gps through the PDA into the phone?

Also, is there a way to get the data directly onto a website without having a webmaster process it?

I got to ask Neil, where are you going to be if you don't mind answering? Also how much time do you have to prepare? That could help with what you are asking.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
I got to ask Neil, where are you going to be if you don't mind answering? Also how much time do you have to prepare? That could help with what you are asking.

Keith
The trip will be in Manitoba in February 2008.
Gadzooks! I just realized that today's technology will be obsolete by then! :eek:

Neil,

Are you sure that you are going to have time to hike after playing with all that technology? Perhaps you will have to add a technology officer to the crew?

I suppose you could surf the web (or VFTT) when pinned down for several days by weather (if your batteries and funds hold out). It might lessen the chance of murder due to boredom...

Neil said:
I suspect that you will be better off if someone back home takes care of formatting and presentation. You will busy enough traveling, surviving, and filing reports/pics. You might want to try a several day local dry run.

Doug