Newbie Backcountry Ski Locations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
So my wife and I are novice backcountry skiers. The week after Christmas (given that the conditions allow) we're going to cut our teeth and I was curious where the sick-o skiers on this site would recommend us taking to the trail? Would the Sherbourne trail be a good place to start? Skin up, ski down? Any leads and/or advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks folks.

-ct

Most folks don't skin up the Sherburne - Tuck trail is usually packed out & is easier to hike up. They way this year is starting, I doubt if it will be in shape then anyway.

truepatriot09 said:
So my wife and I are novice backcountry skiers. The week after Christmas (given that the conditions allow) we're going to cut our teeth and I was curious where the sick-o skiers on this site would recommend us taking to the trail? Would the Sherbourne trail be a good place to start? Skin up, ski down? Any leads and/or advice is very much appreciated.
Sherbourne Tr will most likely be way over your heads.

Some better trails for novices:
* Zealand Tr
* Lincoln Woods Tr (or the East Side Rd) and Wilderness Trs. This connects into a big network of old logging roads and railroad beds. You can go up to Camp 13 Falls, or Ethan Pond Tr., etc.
* Greely Ponds Tr (easy from the S, moderate from the N).
* Livermore Rd.
* Beaver Brook area
* The USFS also maintains some XC trails http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/skiing/ (seems to be down right now)

Pick up a copy of "Backcountry Skiing Adventures, Maine and New Hampshire" by Dave Goodman

Doug

What experience do you have? What have you skied before? What kind of gear do you have?

It's pretty hard to know what "beginner backcountry" means to you without some info first. I'd start somewhere besides Sherbourne as Doug suggests. It's a nice ski, but it's not what I'd consider beginner unless you have extensive alpine experience and have done downhill runs on your skis before.

-dave-

DougPaul said:
* Zealand Tr
* Lincoln Woods Tr (or the East Side Rd) and Wilderness Trs. This connects into a big network of old logging roads and railroad beds. You can go up to Camp 13 Falls, or Ethan Pond Tr., etc.
* Greely Ponds Tr (easy from the S, ... ).
* Livermore Rd.

These can be done on xc skis, I doubt they'd be much of a challenge even for a beginner bc skier.

Stan said:
These can be done on xc skis, I doubt they'd be much of a challenge even for a beginner bc skier.
Yes the skiing on all of the routes that I listed is fairly easy in good conditions. The title of this thread does, after all, begin with the word "Newbie". And in the BC, greater skill can mean more efficiency and range with trail breaking and whatever snow conditions one may find, even on terrain that is easy in optimal conditions.

Doug

I wanted to be part of this thread so that I keep/establish my "sick-o-skier" status!! :D

Metsky has it right... where are you coming from?? Sherbourne Ski trail isn't what I'd call a great backcountry experience -- rather a way off the mountain.

My idea of a good backcountry experience is to get into the woods on a "trail" that could/could not include verticle (significant or not). "Trail" could have several interpretations here, too.

It all amounts to what you are looking for and the equipment you have to use.

Vermont has some wonderful backcountry trails connected to several of their XC and/or downhill areas: Trapp Family Lodge, Mt. Mansfield, and Bolton Valley are my hands-down favorites. As novice XC skiers, we used to be able to negotiate many of them with a good snowplow on skinny skis and still have great fun, although not exactly cool-looking.

And then there's arguably the most aesthetically satisfying trip in the Northeast: Avalanche Pass & Lake/Lake Colden/Flowed Lands in the Adirondacks. It can also be done with basic skills and equipment in good conditions. That's one we try to do every year. The pleasure of having lunch, sitting on a Hitch Up Matilda( http://www.pbase.com/chet/image/49791083 ) and watching brave souls climbing up the Trap Dyke is not to be missed!

Stan said:

(blink)

So, 2 years ago afka_bob and I skied in along the east side of the east branch. We were both on xc skis with wax and these real core "bc skiers" came skinning down this small hill on burly killer AT gear. You read that right. They were skinning down cause their skins wouldn't slide and the rolling terrain made it impractical to skin/de-skin. I could only imagine those guys setting up camp that night and paging through their back copies of Couloir trying to figure out how it was that we skied up hill with no skins. (guffaw)

The terms "bc" and "backcountry" as applied to skiing are really meaningless. Skiing deep into the Pemi on light nordic gear is certainly more backcountry skiing the bump run called the Sherburne.

At this point, the only meaning of the word "backcountry" as it applies to ski gear that makes sense to me is how it is applied to describe a class of light nordic metal edged skis and the corresponding boots and bindings. Hit most manufacturers and retailers web sites and you'll see this is how they use the term. Burly gear gets labeled as "Telemark" and "AT" for the most part. There are exceptions, certainly.

In any event, I see dismissing destinations as not being worthy of even beginner bc skiers as a needlessly narrow perspective.

For the OP, I've put very, very short and crude listings of some of the trips possibilities in NH here:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/nh-trips/nh-trips.html

As Doug noted, the USFS has some great trails and resources. David Goodman's guide book has lots of great info in it. It's a great starting point but is more oriented to steeper pursuits. My standard suggestions for first bc ski is the Lincoln Woods trail. It's heavily travelled up to the Franconia Brook bridge and the river is stunning. The other trip is to Greeley Ponds from the south. Both trips are good place to work out logistics of dealing with bindings, food and clothing in the woods.

Lastly, if your interest is in steep bc skiing, then yes, Sherburne is one of the best first trips. Again, its heavily traveled and Pinkham offers an easy place to start/return. Regarding skinning up the Sherburne, it is definitely allowed. It is wide enough to allow for switch backs in most places and generally less traveled in the am so you can avoid the commuter traffic feeling on the Tuck Ravine trail. In fact, it is wide enough that when I took Dickie Hall's clinic many years ago, we were able to climb the Sherburne on wax (not skins). But do be warned, 90% of the people skiing the Sherburne are recent converts from downhill areas and they wrongly assume that there should be no skiers standing or climbing below them. It's not at all uncommon to see folks carrrying way to much speed on the descent on that trail. And they will likely assume that the cllimbing skier is at fault. While they would be wrong, it doesn't matter if you have broken ribs from the collision. If you ascend by the Sherburne, I would suggest getting to HoJos by 10 or 11 to minimize encounters with descenders.

dave.m said:
In any event, I see dismissing destinations as not being worthy of even beginner bc skiers as a needlessly narrow perspective.
I omitted a couple of destinations on the list, including the Kanc approach to Greely Ponds, in describing what I would consider pleasant xc skiing and not particularly challenging bc skiing. I don't bc ski but I appreciate the difference and would think someone who does could come up with the merits of something 'tween those listed trails and Sherburne.

Stan said:
I omitted a couple of destinations on the list, including the Kanc approach to Greely Ponds, in describing what I would consider pleasant xc skiing and not particularly challenging bc skiing. I don't bc ski but I appreciate the difference and would think someone who does could come up with the merits of something 'tween those listed trails and Sherburne.
There are lots of skiable trails and routes out there, varying from terrain appropriate for a first-time-on-skis skier to expert with risk of death. And of course, the same trail/route can be very different depending upon the snow conditions. The title of this thread includes the word Newbie and the OP describes himself as a novice BC skier--thus I suggest that the OP start with some of the easier trails and work up as his skills and confidence build.

I would compare the Sherburne trail to an ungroomed (typically ski rutted) intermediate downhill run. (Goodman rates it "more difficult".) My experience on it includes a crash with broken glasses, blood on my face, and a walk out... Not a route that I would recommend for a novice. I think most users are Tuckerman Ravine skiers who are taking the quick route back to the car.

Doug

Wildcat Valley Trail

Might I suggest Wildcat Valley trail as a spot that could be a decent challenge but not over the head of a newbie. At least in the right conditions. If it's icy don't try it.

On the plus side: no long approach, beautiful glade skiing midway down, can be done on fairly light bc gear, still feels remote even if it isn't.

On the minus side: you have to buy a Jackson XC Center trail pass and pay for one ride on the Wildcat lift.

bcskier

P.S. Here's a link

Last edited:
When I finally try xc skiing, hopefully this year, it will be on the Nanamocomuck Tr. This trail basically parallels the Swift River/Kancamagus. Spot a vehicle at the covered bridge, then go to the beginning at Lily Pond.

There also is a trail network between Oliverian Brook Tr and Downes Brook Tr.

Happy Trails :)

It might be good for OP to clarify what he means by "newbie".

IMO, trails like the Wildcat offer some significant challenges. In terms of skiing, it combines non-trivial downhill skiing in the glade with a long xc run out. The former is easier on heavier downhill oriented gear and the latter with lighter gear. And despite the easy access via the Wildcat lifts, you end up on the backside of the mountain with no easy way out other than miles. Certainly well within the limits of experienced winter bc travelers but you commit to the bc as you soon as you leave the lifts. I've talked with enough downhill oriented skiers who had long ugly slogs out of that that I'm not sure I would suggest this as a beginners route, both from a skiing and bc skills pov.

I have similar concerns about the Upper Nanamacomuk. The first run down from Lily Pond is non-trivial and at the bottom, you cross over the Swift. Once crossed, you don't have any way back to the Kank Rd until you come out down at Bear Notch Rd. So again, you commit to a fairly isolated bc experience at the outset.

In general, I think it best for beginners to stick to in/out routes till they master the logistics of their gear. The Bear Notch parking area offers easy in/out skiing. I've not gone to the Nanamacomuk from this end but Afka_Bob and I have skied the Rob Brook (rough) and USFS road (easy) from this end. Rob Brook is stunning but the road is by far the easiest skiing.

And don't forget about Mt. Cardigan! Lots of great options for both newbie and advanced skiers alike!