Lost Ski Areas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

Tony Chamberlain has an article in today's Globe about "Lost New England Ski Areas". Here's his website - http://www.nelsap.org/. The webpage is a real interesting look into the recent past in New England and might present some ideas about new places to ski, hike, 'whack or explore this winter.

bob

Wow, pretty intense!

My first motivation on seeing the link was finding possible back-country opportunities, which of course is usually moot as most of these areas are on private family land. But the stories seem compelling and provide a lot of real local history.

Great stuff!

As for hidden bc gems, I hesitate to pursue, as public as this forum is, but maybe the other thread is the place to go ("Newbie Backcountry Ski Locations" http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15149).

Bob- I've actually been on that site before! When teejay planned Gathering 9.0 in the Berkshires, we had some conversation about an area at the top of the pass...

Never thought of the cross-interest potential to post. If you're a skier, you can spend (waste?? :eek: ) a lot of time on the site!!

I've found the one on Mt Grace in Warwick, Mass, parts of the old ski tow are still there.

Unfortunately, Tenney Mountain near Plymouth, NH may join the list. They were planning to open this year but suddenly pulled the plug on Dec. 8th. They are saying that they will reopen next winter but.....

Maybe it's the "wonderful" weather we seem to be stuck with. :( If it dosen't get cold soon, there may be quite a few joining the list next year. :eek:

Where is winter?????

Skiing History in New York website

For the past/lost ski centers in New York State, there is an excellent website Skiing History in New York. For most of the past ski centers there are detailed, multiple page histories with dozens of photos and maps. There are also links to the ski centers still in operation. I have encountered the webmaster/author, Russ LaChapelle, a couple times on Bearpen Mountain in the Catskills. The website is a real labor of love and a great resource.

Enchanted Mtn

I hiked Enchanted (CoburnMtn) two years ago. Most of the trails have grown in, but there is a fairly wide 4 wheeler trail that someone has cut from the base right up to the top that would make for some sweet turns in the winter. The problem would be getting to the mtn base with your vehicle. Would either have to snowsled in, or do the approach on XC gear/snowshoes.

Nadine :)