Crampon Set-up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lattinhill

Reaction score
I have been using my G10 crampons for the last 6 years with the center bar through only one slot, allowing them to hinge freely. Nothing has cracked or broken and I've had no problems with this set up. This is with regular hiking boots. I'd never given it much thought untill a friend recently bought new Black Diamond crampons and the salesman said that the bar must be through both slots. Grivel makes flex bars but I can't find any mention of these for B. D. crampons. Nothing in the instructions that came in the box or on their web site gave any clue as to the right or wrong way to use them.
I had always thought that the type of boot was the determing factor so the salesman might well be correct. Also, the front anti-bot plate is held on by the bar being through both slots.
Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Dave

Sounds like you got it about right. The flex position works equally well for either a flexible boot or a rigid one.

You might consider carrying a spare bar. They do break, and it's really tough to McGiver it together in the field, even with nylon ties, wire, duct tape, etc.

I have the flexible bars for my G10, which I bought from another source other than Grivel. I like the flexible bars because I can put the bar through both slots, which allows me to compress the front and back of the crampon together for easier storage. I do, however, always carry my old rigid bars with me, not so much for my needs, but to give to someone else who have broken their bar(s).

Last edited:
lattinhill said:
I have been using my G10 crampons for the last 6 years with the center bar through only one slot, allowing them to hinge freely. Nothing has cracked or broken and I've had no problems with this set up. This is with regular hiking boots. I'd never given it much thought untill a friend recently bought new Black Diamond crampons and the salesman said that the bar must be through both slots. Grivel makes flex bars but I can't find any mention of these for B. D. crampons. Nothing in the instructions that came in the box or on their web site gave any clue as to the right or wrong way to use them.
I had always thought that the type of boot was the determing factor so the salesman might well be correct. Also, the front anti-bot plate is held on by the bar being through both slots.
Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Dave

I have used my Petzl Ecrins that way for a few years without any problems.

Thanks for the replys....I'll probably just continue using mine the way I always have . However, if I happen to run across a pair of flex bars I may just " spring " for them . :rolleyes:

Dave