First Hike of the year! Waumbek on 1-1-2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
Alpinista (aka Fashionista), Bobby and I are planning a New Years day hike up to the summit of Waumbek and return. :D

The pace will be moderate (no race that day.....), with great conversation and a post hike stop for some eats and drinks. We want to be heading up the trail no later than 9:30 AM. You'll need to be fully prepared for the conditions. :)

If anyone is interested in coming please let me know, either with a PM or on the thread.

We're looking forward to a great hike!

Last edited:
Tony - sounds like a GREAT time. I will have to figure out a way to negotiate this with my better half. Will be in touch.

Given that the Editor is going, I guess there must not be a Mayoral or Gubernatorial Bash on New Year's ;)

Marty

Hike update!

Right now it appears Alpinista, Bobby, LarryD, Marty, Ridgewalkwer, Big Earl,perhaps one of his friends, and myself are planning on participating on this hike to the Waumbek summit. :)

The plan is to be at the Starr King trailhead at 9:30 AM, on 1-1-2007. The most recent trip report in trail conditions was on 12/24 from Tom and Atticus. They bare booted up, ran into some ice and mud, and used stabilicers on the way back.

I plan to park at whichever one is open. If the summer trailhead can be accessed I plan to park there, as long as I am not blocking anything. If you can't park there, 27th edition of the White Mountain Guide , pg 510, says it is OK to park at the lot of the Jefferson Village swimming pool, just east of the junction of US and 115A.

Recommend bringing stabilicers, probably snowshoes if you got them ,and have gloves, hats etc and warm boots. I'll have a sleeping bag if needed for an emergency (never know). Also monitor the weather reports for any changes. Standard stuff, but good to be reminded once in awhile! ;)

If anything changes I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Hey Tony,
I will be driving my silver Toyota Tacoma with a VFTT bumper sticker, together with Ridgewalker and Ray, who you can add to the list. We will indeed be prepared for the elements and will meet you there.

One other note: with Ray's addition, nearly all the members of the December 14 VFTT beerfest will be there (Tony, Larry D, Bobby, Ray, myself). We are only missing Stan. C'mon Stan, join in the fun, dude!

Also looking forward to seeing the Esteemed Editor again and meeting Big Earl :D

Marty
P.S. Tom & Atticus, thanks for the recent update!

Hike To Waumbek Canceled

DUE TO THE SEVERE WEATHER FORECAST FOR THE COUNTY SURROUNDING WAUMBEK, THE HIKE IS CANCELLED. :mad:

As an alternative, several of us will try Tecumseh instead, which is a closer ride.

We'll park in the Waterville Valley parking lot and use the Mt. Tecumseh trail out and back.

Mt. Tecumseh- to the summit and everyone back safe and sound

BigEarl, Jenn, Alpinista, Bobby and I met at the Mt.Tecumseh trailhead at 10:00. Despite the adverse weather and driving conditions we all made it to the summit and returned home safely. :D

Thanks to everyone for coming and making for a great start to the New Year. :)

FYI- The EDITOR will publish the TR and use my pics, despite her journalism training she left her camera home! :p