How much snow up north?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got about an inch here in Paul Smiths, just outside of Saranac Lake, NY. Lower St. Regis Lake finally froze over 100% for the first time last night. It was about 75-80% frozen a couple weeks ago, but had thawed out since. It the woods it might be a bit deeper, the wind tends to blow pretty hard off the lake and takes quite a bit of snow with it.

Barely a dusting in Bethel. I got a peak at the high Presidential summits from a hill on Rt 2 heading home from town this morning and they definitely looked whiter.
-vegematic

Only about an 1in. here in Whitefield. We went from Whitefield to Gorham to NConway back through Crawford Notch last nite and no snow on the ground really anywere. We had the most in Whitefield. Sad.

A state highway friend told me up at the base road near the Cog they have about 3 in. on the ground.

I did the Old Bridle Path up to the hut on Wednesday and there wasnt even an inch of snow below agony ridge, and maybe 3" or 4" above it. Gorgeous day. Wonderful hike. But it ain't winter yet.....

bob

Today (Friday) I was with a group doing Jefferson by the Jewell trail. There was deep snow on the Jewell Trail above treeline, so deep that we regretted having left the snowshoes in the cars.

Warm weather, no wind on the way up, gradually increasing clouds.

A friend and I turned around just before the junction with the Gulfside (we both knew that we were not up to Jefferson, and eventually decided not even to get Clay). No summit, but still a very enjoyable start of winter.

Out on Chocorua Yesterday (Friday) it looked pretty brown as far as the eye could see. The Southern Presidential Range looked to have snow over on Eisenhower, up high, but everything after that looked brown and gloomy. Franconia Ridge looked like the snow stoped at Lincoln, again only up high. As I sit here typing this, on the second full day of official winter, its pouring buckets here in Goffstown. Go figure! :D

Brian

NewHampshire said:
As I sit here typing this, on the second full day of official winter, its pouring buckets here in Goffstown. Go figure! :D

Brian

It's raining here in Bethlehem too, and the rain has washed most of the snow away.

Roxi

In fact, MWObs is warning of icy conditions and high winds :eek:

Yesterday I hiked Livermore Tr to Livermore Pass to explore the pass area. It looked like an ice storm had been there, with all branches coated in ice, all bent over. Instead of pushing through hobblebush, it was more like slipping through, with the ice acting like grease.

It's a good time for stabilicers!

Happy Trails :)

CaptCaper said:
First Brown Xmas in 100 yrs. for Northern Me.

Yeehaw! Variety is the spice of life! Actually, the forest floor is covered with the fall, but today I hiked the Brook Trail to the junction of the Beeline Trail, then bushwacked down the SW side of Mt Chocorua, and there's lots of color. I enjoyed a lush green forest with lots of moss and evergreens. It was great to hike in shorts and a tanktop on the ascent, being sprinkled with occasional light sleet and sunshine. Love it! Didn't venture above treeline because the wind was whipping the trees around, but what a great day in the White Mountains! Photographed another moose antler and saw three partridge and the flag of a whitetail at lightspeed. It's all good!

But its coming fast....

But a snowstorm is on the way for northern areas....it may not be white during the day on Xmas but starting Mon night thru Tuesday the north and esp mtns will get their share of snow, possibly exceeding 10 inches. Watches are already up for northern NY and VT and they'll prob go up tomorrow for northern NH and ME. Once again southern New England will miss out, but its only Dec, so hopefully we'll get our share Jan-Mar.

grouseking

It would have been nice yesterday, but we have a couple inches of heavy, wet snow in Madison this morning. Santa brought beautiful 36" Tubbs snowshoes :D

A couple centimeters of wet snow fell in Bethel overnight. We're having light rain or sleet now though so who knows how long it'll last. Still, it was nice to wake up to and only a day late.
-vegematic