stove pumps and odd pots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
I've got a few questions which I'm sure someone can answer for me.

1st, will the pump from a whisperlite international work with a regular whisperlite stove? I seem to recall hearing that it wouldn't, but now I can't remember. I'd like to take the int. pump as a backup on a twelve day trip at the end of the month, but not if it won't work! :eek:

Also, I recently aquired this cookset (at least that's what I think it is) and can't fifure out what it's all about. It's older, maybe 70s (??) and is made by Sigg. Anybody know what the pots with holes are for?

Are they designed for a certain stove?? I'm stumped.

"MSR Standard Pump:
For use with MSR WhisperLite, WhisperLite Internationale, SimmerLite, and XGK Stoves. This is the lightest, most reliable pump on the market, redesigned to improve the performance of all MSR liquid-fuel stoves. It offers unmatched durability, easier field maintenance, and superior flame control for more cooking options than ever. "

The pump for the whisperlite and whisperlite internationale are the same.

Those pots are for soup - very thick soup :D

edit: Chip with the quickness!

The section with the large holes goes on the bottom. The large holes are so you can reach the stove to adjust it. The section with smaller holes on the side is the windscreen.

I concur that it is a Sigg pot kit, which was made to fit a Svea stove.

What do I win? :D

Barbarossa said:
What do I win? :D

The cookset if you have the Svea stove it goes with. :) I need more pots like I need a hole in the head.

Thanks for the input on the pumps. I could have sworn I heard that the size of the nozzle where you "plug in" the fuel line was a different size on each. Maybe it was something else...

Optimus SVEA 123

sleeping bear said:
The cookset if you have the Svea stove it goes with. :) I need more pots like I need a hole in the head.

Thanks for the input on the pumps. I could have sworn I heard that the size of the nozzle where you "plug in" the fuel line was a different size on each. Maybe it was something else...

OK, I am the proud owner of the stove. Do you need proof? Kin eye hav it?

Tom Wheeler

Hillwalker said:
OK, I am the proud owner of the stove. Do you need proof? Kin eye hav it?

Tom Wheeler
Shoot, beat me to it. Actually, I have both the stove and the cookset. Unbeatable combo!

I still have that old cookset kicking around! To think I would be the only one with that set. I bought in '77. Made a nice home for that Svea 123, which by the way still works! Thank God for technology.

I still have that old cookset kicking around! To think I would be the only one with that set. I bought in '77. Made a nice home for that Svea 123, which by the way still works! Thank God for technology

I have the stove and cookset also, way ahead of its time; the design theory is similar to the newer Jetboil stoves.

I also have the 8R and the original box...

sleeping bear said:

All the MSR pumps work with one another except the Dragonfly stove, which uses a different pump with a much larger pump opening. The only difference between the international and the regular WL is the jet, which is changeable. I used to have one of each, and still have the regular WL, but never use it as I lost the pump.

It looks like that could be adapted easily to make a hanging stove setup.

Svea 123 and Sigg Tourist Set- I own both. Haven't run the Svea in a while because I had a flare up a couple of years ago and was worried about a leak. Any one know where maintenance parts would be available?

BorealChickadee said:
Svea 123 and Sigg Tourist Set- I own both. Haven't run the Svea in a while because I had a flare up a couple of years ago and was worried about a leak. Any one know where maintenance parts would be available?
Here's one source: A&H Packstoves

Svea 123

I have the Svea stove and it still works well. Parts are not available that I know of- I have looked before. Really, aside from the jet itself you can replace most of the parts. The wick in the canister can be repalced with a lantern wick and the only other gasket I know of is in the cap. I have replaced that one with one I fashioned from a neoprene gasket. I found it is best to store it with a little fuel inside so things don't dry up on you. Really is a pretty bullet proof little stove. It was "da bomb" in the early 70's for light weight/compactability.

I guess I overlooked the big "Sigg Tourist" imprint on the side of the frying pan...

So, seriously, if anyone wants the thing I'll send it to you. Going, once, going twice, gonna sell it on eBay if nobody here wants it.