Calling all Quebecers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
Bonjour, mes amis du nord!

Je voudrais aller avec ma femme au Quebec City en janvier.

Nous voulons faire du ski de la piste et dans le foret (ski de fond???).

J'ai ete au Quebec a plusieurs reprises mais je n'ai pas fait du ski la-bas. Je sais Mont St. Anne etre bon mais je ne sais rien de faire du ski de fond.

Okay, that's about all I can handle. My broken French was just a front to get you to give me the inside scoop!

Where should I go to take my wife for a couple of days skiing (backcountry would be great for one of the days) not too far from Vieux-Québec. I'm thinking of getting a hotel room in Vieux-Quebec but if you know of a great romantic spot not too far away, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Spencer

spencer said:
I'm thinking of getting a hotel room in Vieux-Quebec but if you know of a great romantic spot not too far away, I'm all ears.
It's nice there... inside the wall.. Think possibly a bed and breakfast as well. Another nice place is Ile d'Orléan. Where the vieux Qeébec is an old city, l'ile d'Orléan is old countryside. It's just outside of the city. You'd probably have gentle XC-skiing just outside your B&B.

Oh yeah... and resturants inside the walls.... I have a list of about 75 that you HAVE to try.

I've been looking at a few B&B inside the walls. The countyside is a nice idea. I'll what I can find.

I've eaten at several places in the old city and I don't think I've found a bad one yet!

thanks, Pete. Keep the ideas coming, folks1

I've been looking at a few B&B inside the walls. The countyside is a nice idea. I'll what I can find.

I've eaten at several places in the old city and I don't think I've found a bad one yet!

thanks, Pete. Keep the ideas coming, folks1

Disclaimer -- I am not a Quebecer...but Snowman and I have made an annual pilgrimage to Mont Sainte Anne to cross country ski every year for the past 5 years or so, and love it! I take it from your note that you've been there before, so you probably know all this, but it is a GREAT spot to xc ski with a wide range of terrain and many, many different loops of varying difficulty. If you go when there is a bit of snow you should even be able to get a few loops in that are more "backcountry," depending on how far out on the system you want to go.

I admit to not having skied anywhere else up in Quebec, but regardless, I highly recommend Mont Sainte Anne :)

Wherever you end up going, have fun!

If you are really looking for something nice, where people are warm n treat you nice, try Mt Tremblaunt, north of Montreal. I loved being up there, skiiing is great and you can even get hiking/ XC skiing n snowshoing in the Provincial Park. Beautiful scenery and an old quaint town of beautiful buildings.

I've never cared for Quebec city, too snobish and arrogant.

Forêt Montmorency

Sorry it's in french, but you seem like you know enough.

I don't X-country ski, but I heard many many MANY times that it's a wonderful place. In fact, my BF always says we are gonna go one day for a romantic weekend. I'm still waiting, but that's another story.

I went to Sentier des Caps a couple of years ago. It was excellent. Both groomed and backcountry trails. You can make a nice 3 day loop and stay in cabins at night. They have great views of the St. Lawrence from up high -- really nice for sunset/sunrise photos. The cabins aren't manned, but once you get the fire going and make yourself some dinner, they're pretty warm and comfortable.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/fiches/en/attraits/19862287.html
http://www.sentierdescaps.com/en/vieux/introang.html

-BriFly

We have been going to Carnaval de Quebec for the past six years and have always stayed at B&B Centre-Ville Our friend Bernard Coutourier is a wonderful host,and his B&B is in a beautiful old building. The b&b is located just outside the wall of Vieux-Quebec. We will be there Feb 3& 4 this carnival.
You might want to plan your trip to co-incide with the winter carnival.
Carnaval de Quebec

Also,the kid in you will love this place
Valcartier Snow Park Its about 20 miles north of the city,and has 42 tubing runs,including double black diamonds,and a 150 foot drop on "Everest" :eek: :D

If you go to B&B Centre-Ville,tell Bernard his kayak friend from Boston told you about him.
La joie d'hiver dans Quebec!

Quebec City

Nice timely subject...this is the 1st year in many that we missed going to Quebec for the New Years as the place we usually went to was closed.
So we are looking for some new ideas as places to stay.

I did want to put a vote in for sking on the Plains of Abraham...not that it's extensive or challenging...just that it's a ton of fun for some lazy day and you can top it of with a tobaggan ride or two down along the Promenade
by the Frontenac etc

Last edited:
Hi Spencer!

Check out the Camp Mercier about 35 miles north of Québec City. As Timmus pointed out la Forêt Montmorency is also a very good choice, though a little farther away. You also have the Duchesnay Resort 30 min. away from Québec City.

Keep in mind that this year there is much less snow on the ground if at all in the immediate Québec City area. But at Duchesnay resort there is at least 8'' of snow on trails & presumably likewise at Mercier/Montmorency. Verify snow conditions beforehand.

If you are seeking remoteness & want to avoid crowds, then the Parc National de la Jacques-Cartier is the best
1934817_picf03_1934817_R0_1934817_1142417847000.jpg
, less than 30 miles north of Québec City.

Enjoy! Québec City has a very special place in my heart, as I met my wife there & we regularly revisit the old city.

Best regards,

Pierre

Last edited:
I agree with Oncoman!! Great choices for x-c skiing. I once skied the 65km loppet from Camp Mercier to Mont St Anne... Quite a wild ride!

(n)ice place to stay if you love winter which I know you do Spencer.

Have Fun!