Stabilicers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amigo

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm relatively new to mountain hiking in winter (not other seasons). I climbed Algonquin in the ADKs several winters ago with snowshoes and they did the trick as there was lots of snow then.

I'm considering going to the ADK high peaks next weekend and, although I think there isn't much snow (yet!), I suspect I should at least be prepared for some ice.

I was reading up on crampons but just read about stabilicers - didn't even know these things existed. Anyone care to tell me whether I should be prepared with crampons or will these suffice? Not sure what we'll be climbing yet. Of course, if it snows alot by then, then I suspect snowshoes would be good enough.

Thanks.

Hola Amigo
I have both crampons and stabilicers. I have yet to gain alot of experience with them, but I'm planning to use my Stablicers for trails with just a bit of ice here and there and the crampons when there is lots of ice. I will be carrying both in my winter pack this winter.

FWIW, I bought my crampons used from EMS, they rent crampons for something like $15 bucks a weekend, and sell them at seasons' end. I got a pair of Black Diamond ten pin crampons for $35.

I'm glad you posted this because I am interested in learning more about them, too.

Sabrina

I recently tried Stabilicers for the first time and I'm hooked. They are boot soles with seventeen sharp studs that velcro over the soles of your boots.

Mine are size S and weigh one pound, six ounces. They fit my size 8 women's Baxter State Bean boots (monster boots) perfectly and appear to fit my size 9 Merrill Torres with the front toe velcro slid through the second loop. (Look at the velcro strip that ends at your toe and you will see two loops that you can thread the crosswise velcro strip through.)

They are now in one of the outside water pockets of my pack, sharp sides facing each other. They are sharp enough that I store them in a crampon bag in my gear room. Were I less lazy I could rubber-band them together.

Wearing Stabilicers in mixed conditions on Tecumseh last weekend (dirt, rocks, snow, ice, slush) I stuck to the slope like velcro. It was a revelatory experience. The advantage of Stabilicers is that you can hike comfortably in them over mixed conditions, including bare rock and trail.

The metal portion of the studs extends only 3/16" and of course, the studs are only on the sole. So, if you need crampons you need crampons.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider hiking in the Winter without both. Stabilicers are perfect for mixed routes, when there is thin ice over rock, or for slick hard packed trails. I found I use crampons far less but when you need them you need them (steep, hard ice).

Wonder toys

Stabilicers were wonderful the last few days trail conditions of ice and snow mix. It allowed us to make very good time the 22 to Couchsachraga and the 24 to Tabletop. Where it's very wet they keep your boots slightly above ground keeping them dry longer.

Don't forget to tighten the screws before every use and to order spares as they are inclined to stay behind...

On particularly steep slopes, very hard ice above tree line and as soon as a few inches of snow cover the ice crampons are a must.

I definitively need a sherpa to carry the gear necessary to adjust to any kind of terrain and winter condition. Alex, Alex....

Stabilicers not all good....

Just don't buy the "Sport" model. they are rubber and fit over your boots and look like they would work the same but they slip off the boots on inclines and could lead to a nasty spill :mad: ....I speak thru experience. Boots :)

OK, I used my Stabilicers AND my crampons today on Moosilauke.

The stabilcers rocked on slippery trail conditions where there were patches of ice here and there. The crampons were amazing above treeline where the trail was a solid sheet of glare ice all the way up to the summit.

I'm hooked on both. :eek: