One Day Winter Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Hello,
From fly fishing to mountaineering. As you can see my posts are all over the place. I have plans for a winter prezzie traverse this year and have planned on doing it in 2 days. I have been training very solidly for the past 6 months so I know my body is ready for it. When posting on another site someone brought up the idea that a one day push from Dodge Camp to Crawford has been done in 24 hours numerous times and is not only in the realm of crazy people. Anyone know of anyone whom has ever done a 1 day winter Prezzie Traverse? Can you please share the experience? Thanks

it's not nearly as hard as people think it is. on a day with good weather, it may actually be easier than doing it in the summer because the snow flattens the trail out where there would usually be rocks. of course, on a bad day you may very well die. just chose the day carefully, and know where you could escape to. if you haven't been up there in the summer, i would think about doing this hike with someone who's been there before just because it can be easy to get disoriented when you're surrounded by snow and rime covered rocks. you should have a plan to get back to your car at the end of the day, and do not carry too much useless rubbish. just be careful, keep moving, and know where to go in case the weather turns.

It can be easier or harder than summer depending on weather and snow conditions. Escape routes are likely to be harder. Routefinding can be easy or hard...

I'm sure it has been done.

Doug

We know several people that have done a Winter Presi Traverse, Weather is the key factor. Plan on it taking longer than during the Summer. Not a good idea to try it in Winter unless you already have above treeline experience in Winter and are familar with high winds, zero visability, ice, and below zero temps.

You'll also be spending a lot more time hiking in the dark. Be prepared with multiple light sources. Some escape routes may not be broken out, limiting their usefulness in an emergency. (Alas, not really a problem this year)

Your margin for error is quite a bit smaller. Something as trivial as a heel blister may cause you to fail. The only safe way to do this IMO is to have a window of several days and pick the one that looks best. If you have only a single day to attempt this and the weather isn't great, you may decide to push on anyways and get yourself in trouble.

-dave-

Hi, I noticed that you mentioned Camp Dodge to Crawford as a Presi Traverse. Does that imply that your plan is to do Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, and Pierce and skip Madison, Adams and Jefferson?. If so it is not THE Presidential Traverse that is typically discussed in climbing circles.

Your proposed trip is still a good one with a lot of potential exposure and incredible views. I have done it in early winter on a similiar snow year in about 10 hours. Most of the trail is wind scoured, but there are a couple of spots between eisenhower and pierce that can collect deep snow (and also a potential for some nasty spruce traps.

As others have said, it can and has been done. Frodo and I did a one-day N-S Presi Traverse in March '05. Cooperative weather and windspeed, fitness, nutrition/hydration management,& knowledge of bailout routes are key.

Good luck!

:)

A Friendly Word of Caution

As we all know, traveling above treeline in winter is dangerous. Traveling above treeline SOLO in winter is MUY dangerous!

Sorry if this is stating the obvious or tellin' you everything that you already know, but I want to share these words of caution. Even if you've got a lot of experience in the Presis in winter, there is just so much that can go wrong, through no fault of your own that it's very unwise to undertake something like this by yourself. If you get hurt or lost and you're alone, you're S.O.L. There's a good chance no one is going to come across you.

If you are going with one or more other people, make sure that they also have a good deal of experience above treeline in winter and that you've got the gear to spend the night if conditions turn to sh*t. Experience and good judgement make the difference between a successful trip and SAR trip.

FWIW, just so you don't think I'm sittin' on my high horse lookin' down, I've got a sufficient winter alpine experience and recent training (86 4Ks this year) and I would even THINK about doing a winter Presi traverse solo.

That my $0.03... take 'em or leave 'em.

doublebow,
I think its quite ambitious for you to call a solo winter traverse unwise. While it maybe "unwise" for some or most, there are many qualified mountaineer's who find such a challange doable for sure.
This is a pet pieve of mine for sure. You have every right to your opinion and I would welcome a civilized debate on the subject but when people who lack the experience or desire to attempt a certain feat, they feel the need to call it "unwise" or foolish. Some people live to challange themselves and cant imagine NOT trying adventures such as the winter solo traverse. TO each his own, but whats crazy for some is quite sane for someone else.
Ive seen people base jump, would I? heck no, do I think its "unwise", no I do not.

Unfrozen Caveman did one last year: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11793 I remember chatting with him & his crew the day before (they had hiked something in the Presidentials; I had done Jefferson/Clay). They actually, I believe, picked the crappier weather day for the traverse. Although last winter was mild so "crappy" is relative. It wasn't -100F and 200mph winds ifin yer wondering.

I'm sure certain conditions will be worse than others in terms of winter and a large degree of competence is necessary but a winter traverse seems reasonably doable to me. I only wish I was in good enough shape right now to do one. I'd love to on a nice day. Not on a crappy one though.

-Dr. Wu

Sierra,

IWisdom is in the eye of the beholder. While I do not think a solo attempt is wise, certainly others may think that it is. We're all entitled to our own opinion and I was simply stating mine.

As I said, it is just my opinion based on the facts and the originator of the thread is free to take or leave it.

FWIW, I have plans to do a winter Presi traverse with others later this season. If one knew some of the people involved, they may think it unwise. Obviously, I feel differently...

alo

Hey all,
I appreciate all of your posts. As it seems people are wondering, I am doing this with a climbing partner who has many years of winter experience in the Whites so we know what we are in for. We have our escape routes planned out and to make it even better my girlfriend will be up north the weekend we attempt to pick us up wherever we come out (she’s too good to me). As for the SAR’s comment above, I have no fear of failure, so turning back has never been an issue for me. As I see it, the mountains will always be there and I have many more winters left in my legs to try this again with the experience gained from pervious failures.

For now, I have another month of solid training and a few training climbs planned. Wish me luck….

It sounds like you've got your head square on your shoulders. That's refreshing. Too many people seek the peak at all costs and don't know when to turn back. I myself have been quilty of this in the past... :eek:

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck and have fun!

Jkrew81 -

If you're willing to wait until a bit later in the season, consider doing this in mid-March. There's a reason these long treks (Presis traverse, Bond/Zealand traverse, etc) are done at these times. Late season hikes means there's more time for snow/ice to accumulate making better footing; a couple of hours of extra light helps considerably, especially at the end of the day, and the temps are generally milder. You do have to be more cautious of storms, however, as late season storms can be the most intense of the year.

Good luck and have fun.

Kevin

http://www.chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiguide.htm

There is lots of good information at this link, including compass bearings for various bail outs, etc.

I seem to remember reading a TR on VVFT from someone who hiked a solo winter N-S Presi traverse, including all eight NH4s, in the past couple of years in under 10 hours, AND managed to hitch-hike back to his vehicle the same evening.

In my view, it is not so much the soloing on such routes that is hard, but the car spotting; hence, it is nice to have a partner with a second vehicle.

In late January 1972, two friends and I hiked a winter night S-N Presi traverse under full moonlight, until we were baffled by a lunar eclipse near the top of Jefferson. We skipped Jackson, Adams, and Madison, so technically ours was not a full Presi traverse.