Weather website question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
Alright, this is killing me. I've been searching all of the stadard weather sites, doing all kinds of searches and generally going crazy trying to find out if there is any snow in Wawa, Candada. Does anyone know of weather websites that tell you how much snow is on the ground? Is there such a thing?

Word of Caution

These maps are typically based on a composite of radar observations estimating precip, not actual terrestrial measurements from the ground. Given this, they can be helpful for understanding seasonal snowfall history, but be mindful that they will also reflect topographical influences on radar observations not representative of actual historical snowfall events. When you see small round areas on these maps with double or triple the surrounding snowfall, it doesn't hurt to be skeptical.

Our optimism can get the best of us because we want to believe, especially in years like this. :p

Bobcat said:
These maps are typically based on a composite of radar observations estimating precip, not actual terrestrial measurements from the ground. Given this, they can be helpful for understanding seasonal snowfall history, but be mindful that they will also reflect topographical influences on radar observations not representative of actual historical snowfall events. When you see small round areas on these maps with double or triple the surrounding snowfall, it doesn't hurt to be skeptical.

Our optimism can get the best of us because we want to believe, especially in years like this. :p

You are correct about the basic maps.....but:

That's why one needs to look at the interactive maps on the link I provided...If and when it ever snows to the point where the pack builds, I perform the actual depth and water content, plus other data at about 15 sites in the Adk's. These measurements are "ground truth" observations that corrects the models and remote sensing data. It takes a little bit of digging through the mapping site, querying the station, and looking at the data.

Also, take a look at the maps showing depth:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/snow.shtml

I'll try provide a link to a specific station so you can see what's there. The actual surveys start next week, but as I mentioned, there's not much in the pack yet, so the corrections won't be significant:

Go to:

Northeastern U.S. Snow Depth

which will bring you to:

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interacti...600&height=450&nw=600&nh=450&type=0&js=1&uc=0

You must choose the data carefully to view it correctly... ;)

Any q's PM me!