VT ground cover input

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a return to Mendon after my son's asthma made us bag our post-turkey day attempt....we did find a way around the first two watercrossings if anyone is interested in that....so i'm looking at this weekend. It will either be solo, or i will retry with him if he wants to miss hockey. I have stabilicers and crampons, but nothing for him, except snowshoes. Any input from around the Killington area would be greatly appreciated. thanks, ctsparrow

PS if going solo, may consider doing this as a day hike either Sat or Sun if anyone is interested.

We had a bit of snow over the past couple nights across Killington/Pico/Mendon but nothing major. I can see that ridge from my window here at work and there's just a dusting of white at about 2800 feet and up.
I was out on Pico about ten days ago and barebooted it. However, we had lots of rain and some sleet since then so I'd recommend stabilicers.

Hopefully someone who's been on the trail in the past couple days will chime in.

Have a great hike,
Sabrina

Thanks Una Dogger, i work inside a truck all day...doing MRI's, i'm jealous of your view!! ctsaprrow

I don't know about Mendon in particular, but there is a lot of ice (sleet / refrozen snow / slippery crud) on the ground above about 2500 feet. I have heard it is supposed to be 2-4 inches of snow on Saturday, too.