Uninsulated Mitten Shells ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a source of strong, uninsulated mitten shells. The local EMS stores no longer carry them, and a trip to the Mountaineer was the same.
I have some heavy thick fleece and Dachstein mittens that I'd like to combine with shells.

Thanks,
Peakbagr

Peakbagger....I saw the OR snowline mitts tonight at Adventure Outfitters in Amherst. They look very nice. The are big and lined with fleece. There was no additional mitten inserted. They were $20 more than the same mitt on the Forest Service site.

Lawn Sale said:
I bought mine from Ragged Mountain in Intervale and do not leave without them. I do not think you'll be disappointed with them and I would buy another set in a minute.

Lawn Sale,
A question about sizing... are your inner mittens or gloves the same size as the OR Snowline Mitts or did you need to purchase the Snowline mitts a size larger?

Onestep

Cool shells

These may not be as durable as what you would want, but mountainlaureldesigns.com has recently come out with an eVent rain mitt. They weigh less than an ounce per pair, but there is no palm material other than the 2 layer eVent, which makes them a rain mitt verses a mountaineering mitt, per se.

I think they are really light, cool piece of gear. The website says they are on vacation until Jan. 2007.

onestep said:
Lawn Sale,
A question about sizing... are your inner mittens or gloves the same size as the OR Snowline Mitts or did you need to purchase the Snowline mitts a size larger?

Onestep

OR Snowline Mitts?

I have no idea on the OR mitts because I don't own any. I use either a set of poly liners (I own several pairs but they are all about the same), my short winter Drop ADK insulated gloves, or the longer Reimer insulated gloves under the Ragged Mountain shells. All fit fine under them, sorry I can't be more specific.

Here are some sources:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302698935&bmUID=1167738927903
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sea...423&query=*&vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC:N
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...l&Ns=p_popular|0||p_name|0&Ntk=s_search&N=727
I prefer mittens with longer gauntlets to prevent them riding up and snow getting down my sleeves when I am plunging my hands in the snow while climbing. These tend to be costlier. I like the Absolute Zero mitts from Mountain Hardware. I tend to climb in gauntlet gloves like these:
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...+Gloves+-+Closeout/Store/MG/item/371050/N/729
My mitts go on at the summit when I am starting to lose my fingers.

oop's

Lawn Sale said:
OR Snowline Mitts?

I have no idea on the OR mitts because I don't own any.

I mis-read your post to say you Purchased OR Mitts at Ragged Mtn... oop's!

I wear a size Large mitten. I wondered if a size Large overmitt was sized such that Large mittens would fit inside them. I was considering an online purchase but I'd better wait till I can try the overmitts on with the mittens that I wear.

Onestep

Lawn Sale said:
I bought mine from Ragged Mountain in Intervale and do not leave without them. I do not think you'll be disappointed with them and I would buy another set in a minute.

I second that. My Ragged Mountain shells are great . . . had them for more than 5 years and they are still like new.

Ditto on the ORs. I use mine alone (sometimes getting clammy hands as a result), with thin liners, regular fleece gloves, Dachsteins, even leather-down ski mittens. That's why I got the extra large. :D

The long gauntlet style is great for fitting over any kind of shirt or jacket, too, from a thin poly zip-T to a big puffy.

They're in my pack (or more likely on my hands) for every cold weather hike.

Peakbagr said:
I've been looking for a source of strong, uninsulated mitten shells. The local EMS stores no longer carry them, and a trip to the Mountaineer was the same.
I have some heavy thick fleece and Dachstein mittens that I'd like to combine with shells.

IME, leather shells outlast nylon shells by several years. I generally use leather work gloves with wool/fleece liners for most skiing, which is hard on the handwear. The downside is that leather, once wet, takes a long time to dry. So, for overnights, I prefer nylon. But for most day trips, I take leather (with nylon shells in in the pack).

Here are some leather mitten shells that are on my to-buy list:
http://tinyurl.com/yesmh2

In terms of nylon mittens, OR is the standard answer. IMO, it is well worth paying more to get the model that has the pre-curved palm. Much better for gripping poles and such. Lastly. I wouldn't get a pair unless they have idiot cords to keep them near me when taking them on/off above treeline. My ORs have removable idiot cords.

Dave,

Do you know if these are LINED?

I've been looking everywhere for a set of replacement chopper mitts. My 25 year old pair of LL Bean choppers have just about had it. Agree, they are slow to dry, but for bushwhacking, they last forever(more than 25 years of punishment). I treat mine with Snowseal to keep them from absorbing water.

Thanks

edit: Just called Cabelas. They have both lined and unlined. Bought 2 pr of the unlined. Thanks, I appreciate it. Choppers are fantastic winter bushwhacking mitts. Wear like iron.

Last edited: