Backcountry Ski and Snowshoe pole tip replacement

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
My 2 piece Komperdell Backcountry & Snowshoe poles have served me well for 4-5 years. For winter use I add big powder baskets (5” nylon and leather spinning style). They extend to 155cm – essential for good skiing (I use 160 in set tracks) but collapse when I switch to snowshoes. The plain steel tip (maybe 3/16” high and about ¼“ diameter) has a recessed X and has worn down and become rounded such that there is no longer any grip on icy surfaces. I don’t think I can sharpen the tip to a point (as I routinely do on worn XC ski pole tips).

I recently purchased carbide replacement tips (at EMS) and while the plastic does fit over the pole end, the snow baskets will not fit over the tips (tip diameter bigger than hole in baskets). I went back to EMS and they did not have either different tips (that fit the baskets), or any tip/basket combination for deep powder (all small plastic baskets) even for new poles. Regardless – none of their new poles extend to 155cm.

My goal is to have a carbide tip that will not slide on ice (I do use rubber tips in summer) but still allow a powder basket. Does anyone know of a way to modify or add an accessory for these poles? I’m open to removing the existing tips if I can reliably get a good replacement. I would even drill a hole in it to insert a screw (such as hex head) if it would grip well.

New carbide tipped poles are an option but they would need to extend to 155cm and have good powder baskets (removable). I searched this site (and another) for this info with no success. These poles have been very reliable and the twist-lock mechanism has never failed. I’m hesitant to retire them.

I'm reasonably certain that you can buy replacement Leki pole tips that will fit quite well on EMS poles (mostly made by Komperdell). The baskets, however, are not interchangeable. Baskets made by Black Diamond fit Leki tips, and sometimes those are the least expensive replacement baskets. BD baskets are about $5; Leki replacement tips (the flexible ones) are about $13. Still cheaper than replacing the poles.

FWIW - Leki-style baskets tend to stay on much better than Komperdell (EMS/REI-branded poles), which lock with a quarter-turn.

I've done what Kevin suggests with my REI poles, with good success (though it took a LOT of effort to get the old pole tips off!). The new Leki tips are compatible with quite a few different baskets. Subsequently, after bending the lower section of one pole, I got a replacement lower section through REI, though it took me a couple different phone salespeople to find it in their database. It is not in the typical REI online catalog- you have to have the phone person search. Cost me $25 for one- still cheaper than a new pole, though two would make it probably more cost-effective to get a new pair.