2006 Recap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
It has been a tradition on this site to do an annual review of sorts. Sorry this tread came so late. It is nice to see other member's progress with their lists if that sort of thing interests you, and also if you see someone close to finishing, it may give you some incentive to join them.

My 2006:

Whites: Moriah, Zealand, Bond, Bondcliff, West Bond, North Twin, South Twin, Galehead
Adks: Tabletop, Phelps(repeat), Gothics (W)
HPs: Colorado Baby! NH (repeat)
14ers: Elbert, Longs

Other firsts:
Colden's first 3500+ :)
Colden's first Backpack :)

First time at the following Climbing areas:
Gunks
Cathedral
Whitehorse
Albany Slabs
Sundown
Rock State Park

Notable Leads:
5.6 High Exposure
5.4 First Crack (First lead climb)
5.7 Sea of Holes
5.8+ Strawberry Jam
WI1 Central Gully

Goals for next year:
Colden's first 4ker?
Getting strong with Marshall on my back!
California's High Point
Lead at least one 5.10a Traditionally
Winter trip to Katahdin (early 2008?)

-percious

Last edited:
1) Finished the W35 in January

2) Lots of Catskill Hundred Highest

3) A few ADK HHs

4) A few Fire Towers

5) A few repeat 4K Whites with Laurie - including Flags on the 48

6) A few Vermont NEHH and 4K repeats with Laurie

7) A couple Views and Brews hikes

8) 4 Sewards this past December - a good start to the W46 finish planned for 2007

Not a bad year! :D

(posted on another board, but relevant here, I guess)

1. 5-night backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon with Joanne, (and with a few friends who are not on the forum)
2. 11-day backpack trip of NPT with Joanne, and with kwc and RC (of adkforum)
3. A good start at the Catskill 100 (30) with Joanne, peakbagr, Valerie, mcorsaro, Jayh, il2climbup, harryk, guiness, tmax.
4. Various assorted dayhikes and overnights in the Adirondacks with a variety of hiking friends, including (in no particular order): my son Dan, Valerie, Kevin (of adkforum), judgeh (and friend Jim, not on the forums), Bubba, bushwhacker, peak_bagr, TeeJay, Joe Cedar and wife, kwc and wife, Wildernessphoto, Boreal Chickadee and son, and probably a few others for whom I apologize for omitting.

Dick

I was disappointed that I failed to accomplish an important goal.

I never figured out why the AMC uses angle irons for toilet paper rolls in their privies. The angle irons are too wide which makes it very difficult to roll the paper off. This can be a problem on a below zero morning when manual dexterity becomes compromised.

Maybe I will figure it out this year. I will post back if I do.

Yeah, this has been "a year for the books" as they say...

1.) 87 4Ks this year (yup, 87 "list peaks") with various friends

2.) 26 Winter NH 4Ks (including Washington, Madison, Adams, and Monroe)

3.) Completed the Long Trail

4.) Returned to and finally suceeded in summiting both peaks of Katahdin

5.) Whole mess o' bushwhack and smaller peaks

6.) Adopted a trail (Castle Trail)

7.) Lead a series of hikes for beginners

8.) Accompanied Shamie and Gator on the completion of their 48s

9.) Raised money for TBTS during the "Pound the Presis" hike

10.) Finally saw the sunset from West Bond

I got some stuff planned for '07, but I try not to mention things till after they are done. Here's a goal with no timetable on it though: I'm gonna try to not plan things so far ahead. Instead, I'm just going to take things as they come. It's more fun that way!

2006:
==New Hampshire: Whiteface, Passaconaway, Carter Dome, Hight, Wildcats, Sandwich Dome, Imp, Beede Falls, Carrigain.

==New York: Iroquois, Cascade (including kids' first 4K), learned to fly fish with Fran Betters' outfit on the Au Sable AND caught fish, skiied & snowshoed Indian Pass from Tahawus.

2007: Something this month in the Whites, next version of ADK ski & shoe weekend, ADK summer vaca with fishing & >2 high peaks (maybe Santanoni, if Allah permits), ski the Pemi from Zealand to the Kanc, Half-Dome at Yosemite, various NH 4Ks (Huntington's in the dry, if the good Lord wills it). Pretty shocked at the Yosemite opportunity.

2008: Winter climbing course for Presi hike, -40* bag, custom Limmers.

Life can be very good. Happy new year to all,

--M.

Pig Pen said:
I was disappointed that I failed to accomplish an important goal.

I never figured out why the AMC uses angle irons for toilet paper rolls in their privies. The angle irons are too wide which makes it very difficult to roll the paper off. This can be a problem on a below zero morning when manual dexterity becomes compromised.

Maybe I will figure it out this year. I will post back if I do.

This one is easy. It is because if it wasn't too wide you would use too much toliet paper.

And the rest of you people are show offs. You make me sick. :D ;)

Next to you people I didn't accomplish squat but I at least did figure out the angle irons. :p

Keith

Began the year expecting to help Susan climb the final 17 4000-footers she needs to complete the White Mountain, New England, and Northeast lists, but she spent four months scraping and repainting her parents’ house and we hiked together just once all year.

But that gave me the opportunity to climb the 14 peaks I needed to complete the New England Hundred Highest, which seemed a pretty unlikely scenario a year ago. Also climbed Scar Ridge a second time, this time from the south, to find the canister.

Susan joined me for the hundredth, Stratton Mountain, which we hiked on my birthday.

Now all I need is for the AMC to cash my check, which I mailed nearly three months ago, and send me my patch.

Made a feeble start on the Northeast 3000-footer list. The Adirondacks’ Catamount and the White Mountains’ South and North Baldface being the most spectacular of those.

Still haven’t made an attempt on Mahoosuc Notch.

Also added one more Adirondack High Peak, Dix, to Cameron’s list; his 33rd. It was my fourth ascent of that mountain, the most times I’ve climbed any 4K.

NEng 3K's

In 2006 I bushwhacked/hiked 99 peaks on the New England 3000 footer list. My focus was on Maine peaks. Overall I’ve done 243 of 451, and in Maine 141 of 165.

What I enjoyed the most in 2006 was to ‘whack over 30 peaks each with JimC, mhr100sebago, and pigpen… you guy’s rock!

My goal for 2007 is to finish up Maine and put a dent in NH & VT.

Onestep

1. 40th Annual Presidential Range Hike , July 15-23. It was an honor to accompany the legendary Paul DeCoste on his last PRH, and it was a pleasure to hike across the Whites with Tim, Paulette, Doug, Prudie, Marie, Betsy, Tara, Gerry, Paige, Melissa, Mike, Laura, Bob, Jim, and all the rest. A special and crazy crew. We had a situation.
  2. Flags on the 48 , September 9. I was on S. Carter. This was my first year, and it was a great experience, including getting caught in a big thunderstorm on the way down.
  3. My first winter 4K, Mt. Pierce , December 27. 47 to go...

2006 was much less active than 2005 :( , but.....

Single-Season Winter 48:

Having started a couple days before New Year Day 2006, finished the Winter 48 on March 4. This completion gave me the Three-Season completion and Winter 48 completion in an overall time of less than ten months from the initial start.

NE Hundred Highest:

Finished off the listed New Hampshire peaks.
Started the peaks in Maine by bushwhacking Cupsuptic Snow and Elephant with Poison Ivy and Amicus.

Took a few months off.

Some motivation from a friend got me started hiking again with Chocorua, Cardigan, Sandwich Dome, and Tecumseh. (Thanks Jen-san ;) )

That’s it. :)

Earl

Last edited:
In 2006, I returned to hiking, after giving up bicycle racing (the two are incompatible in terms of training.) In May, I was introduced to my first 4K, and got hooked. I set a goal of 7 for this year, and ended up bagging 14.

4Ks:

Moosilauke
Osceola, Osceola East Peak
Tripyramids (all three, via the slides / loop trail)
Whiteface, Passaconaway
Bondcliff, Bond, West Bond
Flume, Liberty (FOT48)
Lincoln, Lafayette

Non 4Ks / family / training trips:

Pack Monadnock (2), North Pack (3)
Kearsarge (Bradford)
West Rattlesnake
Percival, Morgan
Major (and some unofficially named neighbors like Klem)
Greeley Ponds, The Flume (Waterville Valley)
Bald Mountain, Artist's Bluff (Franconia)

Meanwhile, I didn't cause my wife to leave with the kids, but I did manage to cause myself knee problems.

Tim

Finished the all-season NH 4Ks by doing Waumbek in March, Owls Head in May and ending on N. Twin at the end of August.

Also had several other enjoyable hikes to East Pond and Potash in the snow. Moosilauke in September and lots of peaks in Acadia in October.

For the 4Ks, I've done the list gradually since 1990 with a little over half being done solo. So one of my goals is get back to some of these peaks with my wife who has hiked about 20 so far. Other goals are to get in more winter hikes (I finally made it up the Franconia Ridge in winter on 12/29/06), explore different routes, and go beyond NH.

All the best for the New Year!

My worse year for hiking, but the best for mountain biking.
When I managed to get on a hike:
Wittenburg, Cornell, Twin, Indian Head, SW Hunter, Hunter, Peekamoose, Westkill, Table, Sawyer (ADK)

I hiked. I camped. I skied. I kayaked.

I plan to do the same in '07.

Happy New Year!

In 2006 I started hiking seriously again. Other than a couple trial runs in late 2005, I hadn't done much hiking in decades.

4Ks: Hale, Field & Willey, Osceola & East Osceola, Pierce & Jackson, Lincoln & Lafayette, Whiteface & Passaconaway, Tripyramids, Bondcliff (longest hike), Liberty & Flume (FOT48)

High points:
1. Bondcliff
2. Franconia Ridge
3. Flags on the 48
4. Watatic with my son, and Haystack with my wife, son, and 2 nieces (start 'em young!)
5. Meeting VFTTers and other nice folks on the trail

Low points: knee pain on many of the 4Ks, leading to a diagnosis of ITBS, hiking ban, and (seemingly) endless and endlessly gradual physical therapy. I've got a program now and hopefully I'll be ready for spring.

2007 plans: like Double Bow I prefer to share goals after they've been accomplished :D, but the big one is easy - keep hiking, this time without the knee problems!

Hiking pictures

Hmm...

I'm not really working on any lists and with injuries this year it's been slow on some areas.

2006:
Hiking: Just happy I could get out hiking at all, which I only really "could" after August.

Climbing: Started leading on rock and ice

Biking: Got new mtb and road bikes, got out more on both

Kayaking: Got out some, but not as much as I had hoped. Practiced rolling more with new boat

2007 goals:
Hiking: Do adk great range dayhike, ct at dayhike - and just get out more carrying less and less weight

Climbing: Lead harder ice and harder rock

Biking: More mtb. Work it so I can do road riding and not hurt my back as much

Kayaking: More rolling, take whitewater classes - try that and surf kayaking

Happy New Year and let the games begin!!

Doug

Unfortunately, I wasted most of my free time this year, by doing hikes/clibs which I didn't ned; Things I had already done before. I made the big mistake of doing them to enjoy myself.

In fact I did so bad this past year, that I've gotten further behind on my lists than I had been.

My resolution for this year, is to get out and hike/climb, and not waste it having a good time.