Night Hiker Dies On Mount Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
From the NH Fish and Game:
NIGHT HIKER DIES ON MOUNT MONADNOCK

CONCORD, N.H. -- Thomas Plummer, age 59, of North Berwick, Maine, died while on a night hike up Mount Monadnock in southwestern New Hampshire in the early morning hours on Wednesday, January 3. Relatives have been notified. Plummer had been on a moonlit hike up the mountain on the Pumpelly Trail with four companions, and had gone on ahead of the group. Trail conditions were icy and snow-encrusted. At about 2:00 a.m., his companions found Plummer lying unconscious on the trail. He was above the treeline, about 3/4 mile from the summit. The other hikers called 911 to request help and initiated CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation), but were unsuccessful in reviving Plummer. The exact cause of his death has not yet been determined.

This morning (January 3), rescue officials will help carry Plummer's body down the mountain, a distance of approximately 2 and 1/4 miles. New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers, New Hampshire State Park staff and Upper Valley Search and Rescue volunteers are assisting in this effort.

No further details are available at this time.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

:eek: That's right in my backyard. I was outside at midnight thinking that with the bright moonlight, it would be a great time for a night hike. Little did I know. My heart goes out to all involved.

Trails in S. NH are not great right now. Just a coating of snow to hide patches of ice. N. Pack was barebootable last Friday but was slippery in places. Another tragic reminder, all it takes is one bad step....

Thank you Sherpa for the article. Very sad indeed.

Conditions are quite tricky right now. Garry & I slipped a few times on Saturday ourselves including once in the first brook crossing. Fortunately we mostly landed on soft body parts although Garry did hit his shoulder once pretty hard on a rock.

My condolences.

A hard reminder to us all to be extra-careful out there, please.

Is it clear the death was fall-related? ie not a heart attack . Very sad news regardless.

Conditions are somewhat icy and mixed now; probably worse further South than up North.

It was apparent that his heart stopped beating before he fell.
They hiked up Dublin Trail, enjoyed the summit, were descending Pumpelly towards a 'spotted' vehicle. They encountered him almost 0.2 south of Cascade Link Jct., as he had been hiking slightly ahead.

Good group of people who spent the last moments with a dear friend who was enjoying one of his favorite places.

My deepest sympathy to his friends and family.