Tent Platforms Near Galehead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
Looking for the closest tent platform near Galehead Hut. I believe officially it's 13 Falls Campsite 2.7 miles beyond. I had thought there was an un-official site on way up Gale River Trail but I cannot find it in any books. Perhaps I was mistaken.

There's no tent platforms on the Gale River trail. You can certainly find campsites, but you'll have to hunt around in the woods. You can certainly find sites below Jacob's Ladder (the steep rock steps) where things are flatter. Once you hit the ridge it's probably pretty hit or miss.

I've heard of spots below the hut towards the Pemi. Go 1/4 mile past the hut past the junction with the Frost trail.

-dave-

On the west side of the Gale River, the woods are wide open and very flat. You could easily find a spot there. It's pretty thick on the ridge but there are some spots. Particularly around where the junction is with the Franconia Brook Trail.

-Dr. Wu

Bob Kittredge said:
The Garfield Ridge campsite is also 2.7 miles from the hut.

That's a good one. It's one of the higher tent platform sites in the Whites. Maybe it's the highest? Only stayed there once. Really liked it.

dr_wu002 said:
On the west side of the Gale River, the woods are wide open and very flat. You could easily find a spot there. It's pretty thick on the ridge but there are some spots. Particularly around where the junction is with the Franconia Brook Trail.

-Dr. Wu

Before it gets steep, there are definitely unofficial sites. Uncovered by snow, they'd be easy to notice, they are close to the river and pretty open. Wish I had a better way to pinpoint where they are for you- but memory doesn't serve me well. I think there are some sites on both sides of the river. If you want to gain some altitude before camping these sites wouldn't be too good for you.

In spots below the hut on the Twin Brook trail you can find some flat spots too.

While it's easier to get up to Galehead from 13 falls, it's a long walk into 13 falls. Getting to Galehead from Garfield Ridge would not be that enjoyable IMO either.