Mercury "Hot Spots" Found in North America

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
(A variation of this article appeared in this morning's Union Leader. The below comes from Scientific American, and pinpoints the Merrimack River in NH, and the ADKs, hence my posting it here.)

The northeastern hot spots--which include the western Adirondacks and the middle and lower Merrimack River--share several characteristics: most can track much of their mercury deposition to local sources such as waste incinerators and coal-fired electricity plants.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanId=sa003&articleId=EA19F960-E7F2-99DF-32460084B295C9EA

Tim

bikeHIKEskiFISH

I found this interesting and noteworthy for myself because of both the Hike and Fish parts of my username. My kids have come to enjoy fishing too (as well as hiking), and have always liked to eat fish. Being a marine fisherman myself, we mostly eat fish from the ocean, some of which contains mercury (they love tuna fish for lunch.) This past year, they asked if we could eat some of the bass and perch we catch, and I always say no, because I'm not sure of the mercury levels.

What caught my eye in particular was the quote about "most can track much of their mercury deposition to local sources such as waste incinerators and coal-fired electricity plants" (the local part in particular). I always heard that the coal fired plants caused acid rain and mercury pollution were located in the mid-west and New England was the victim of the jet stream.

The idea of C and D (construction and demolition) incinerators is one of local interest and articles have appeared on NHPR in the past few weeks -- there is a plant operating in Maine right now, and ideas are circulating to build (and to oppose) more.

Tim