Stabilicers vs Yaktrax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a pair of Stabilicers from Campmor. I read the specs carefully before I bought them. The picture and text on the website indicated a Vibram sole. I received them yesterday. The soles were not Vibram; the soles say "Stabilicers" and "Made in China". The model number matched. I've already called them about it, and the Campmor employee said, "Oops, we must have gotten a bad batch." I'm in the process of exchanging/returning them. Bottom line: check your stuff very carefully when you buy it on-line.

Ok, but what about for running? I'm doing the Inferno this spring and won't want to wear something as heavy as the Stabilicer's for the "hike" portion (I use quotes because it's not really a hike; pretend they're finger quotes). I was planning on Yaktrax...any thoughts here?

truepatriot09 said:
Ok, but what about for running? I'm doing the Inferno this spring and won't want to wear something as heavy as the Stabilicer's for the "hike" portion (I use quotes because it's not really a hike; pretend they're finger quotes). I was planning on Yaktrax...any thoughts here?
You might try the front half of a flexible crampon over running shoes.

I've seen it done. Seemed appropriate for the uphill run.

Doug

truepatriot09 said:

Kahtoolas are fairly light and work well for running: kathtoolas

dvbl said:
Just got a pair of Stabilicers from Campmor. I read the specs carefully before I bought them. The picture and text on the website indicated a Vibram sole. I received them yesterday. The soles were not Vibram; the soles say "Stabilicers" and "Made in China". The model number matched. I've already called them about it, and the Campmor employee said, "Oops, we must have gotten a bad batch." I'm in the process of exchanging/returning them. Bottom line: check your stuff very carefully when you buy it on-line.

The pair I bought for my sister from EMS says "Made in CHina" too. The pair I bought for myself from a site on Amazon has the same thing. Im wondering if, sad as it may sound, one more "American made" company has outsourced to Asia :( :( :( .

Brian

truepatriot09 said:
I have run 5 days a week the past two winters using yaktrax when conditions required and I never once had a problem.

I was about to buy Stabilicers until I went hiking with a guy who had them. We were hiking in mixed conditions (8+ inches of snow, some ice, and some exposed rock). At the end, each of his Stabilicers were missing 8 - 10 screw heads. He was casual about it, saying "Yeah, it happens all the time. That's why they sell a big bag of replacement screws." When I asked how he got the threaded part of the screw out, he said "You just drill them out." Have you other Stabilicer owners had similar results?

I don't want high-maintenance gear like that. I've beening thinking of getting a low-profile crampon instead, like the Kahtoola steel model. Has anyone tried these?

-BriFly

BriFly - the screws in Stablicers do fall out and you do have to tighten them after every major hike. I just did a 15 mile hike (12 or so with Stabilicers on) and didn't lose any, whereas my hiking buddy lost 2 screws. I don't think this should discourage you from getting them. Stabilicers rock.

I also have the original Kahtoola aluminum model. They are lighter than Stabilicers, have a great binding system, flex well and you can walk/run with them easier than regular crampons. I prefer Stabicers in mixed conditions, whereas I prefer Kahtoolas where there is definitely at least an inch of snow/ice on the trail.

Kahtoola Steels are 1/4" longer than the aluminum ones and much sharper. They might be overkill for Stablicers-like conditions, but, would work well as regular crampons.

Marty

Despite the apparent consensus, I've never had my Yaktrax break, fall off, chunk up with snow, or burst into flames.

Stabilicers are great, too, don't get me wrong, but Yaktrax work great on packed snow, and not so well on ice in parking lots. They also fit easily into a small jacket pocket. I climbed the Kinsman Saturday, Yaktrakking up stuff others wore crampons for. I compared notes with two guys with Stabilicers and there didn't seem to be any appreciable difference.

I think the conditions play a major role. Yaktrax on parking lot ice? Probably not a great idea. I find they work best (and better than anything else) on a trail with packed snow, which most trails are in most winters. They even worked fine on the soft ice of this winter.

Just had a comparison on a hike this weekend--someone else used Yaktrax while I used Stabilicers. The terrain was icy spots on a rocky trail, including some iced rocks and tilted iced slabs. The Stabilicers gave a better grip.

Also returned with all screws in place. I had stuck a bit of ShoeGoo on the threads which might have been a factor.

Doug

Last edited:
Another vote against the Yaktrax...I used them on a couple hikes and I was soooo angry afterwards I would have killed one of their execs. They kept slipping off, breaking etc. I would not trust them or recommend them to anyone.

available

Stablicers $43 all the time at Moriah Sports in Gorham - was just there- they got plenty of them. Support the local hiking store when you can