Unnamed 4,024 Pemi Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmcgo

Reaction score
On my 1987 AMC Pemi map, there is an unnamed peak listed at 4,024 feet between N. Hancock and the Pemigewasset R.
On Topozone, it looks like it's the end of a ridge running NNE from N. Hancock and that it might dip to below 4,000 feet between the peaks. Evidently, not enough to qualify as an independent 4,000 footer.
Does this peak have a name?
Does it have a view? It looks well-situated to have great views if there are outlooks.
Who's been up there? What's the hike like between it and N. Hancock? Any paths from Cedar Brook Trail?

Do you mean this one?

Or NW Hancock?

I ask because it would make more sense coming from Cedar Brook Tr. if you meant NW Hancock. I know there is a slide around here going up from Cedar Brook towards that peak, I was looking at it today from Mt. Liberty.

To the NE ridge it looks like a bushwack from the Hancock summit might be the best way. Sorry, I can't help further, I haven't been to either. :eek:

Last edited:
It wasn't too bad of a 'whack from N.Hancock to NW Hancock, at least in deep snow. No view. There is (was) a canister. It's on the Trailwrights list.

Is this the Hancock peak that had have a fire tower in the past on it?

carole said:
It wasn't too bad of a 'whack from N.Hancock to NW Hancock, at least in deep snow. No view. There is (was) a canister. It's on the Trailwrights list.

Carole, was this peak recently added to the Trailwrights List? Are there now 73 summits on the list?

Mike said:
Carole, was this peak recently added to the Trailwrights List? Are there now 73 summits on the list?

Middle Hancock was bumped within the last couple of years in favor of NW Hancock. It's still 72.

NW Hancock

This peak used to be a list peak, but was dropped because of lack of a sufficient col. There are some great views a short distance east of the summit into the Crystal Brook drainage. The slide provides great access to the peak.

dms said:
This peak used to be a list peak, but was dropped because of lack of a sufficient col.
I do not have Gene's notes in front of me, but I recall him writing (more or less) "The peak kept getting taller but the col kept getting shallower". It used to be on the NE 100 Highest list, as it was believed to be below 4,000 feet and the col was believed to be adequate :)

I have always looked at that peak and been interested. From Liberty and Bondcliff you can see old logging scars that may make it easier to get up there, although I too would rather explore through Crystal Ravine.-Mattl

One hike suggests another

Thanks, all. Especially RoySwkr for the link to the website I didn't know about and Dr. Wu for a link to your hike with Barbarossa and el_bagr.
From the TR, there are views to the south and west but I was thinking there would be views of an arc from Mt. Nancy, the Presidentials, Willey, Zealand Notch, Bondcliff and maybe Garfield.
TDawg -- from your link to the slide, it looks like one would walk southeast on the Cedar Brook Trail, beyond the point where NW Hancock is due east, and then bushwack NE to the slide?
Also, what is the name of the peak on your first link, the one NE of N. Hancock? That would be the eastern ridge above Crystal Brook and west of the west branch of Carrigain Brook. That looks like a tremendous compass-map challenge to follow that ridge down and through lower woods NE to Stillwater.
It must be me but the bearing from N. Hancock to NW Hancock looked more westerly on the 1987 AMC map than Topozone even though both are 16 degrees. Dr. Wu referred to NNW Hancock (3624?) as north but it only looks slightly north of due west on the AMC map.
Resting today after an aortagram. Looks like I need a stent or patch before resuming strenuous activity. Circulation problem explains the fatigue and hypothermia problems I've had the past five or so years, since it apparently began expanding and weakening.
Aneurysm discovered during CT scan for November appendectomy. Found out at age 58 I had a hereditary, congenital problem that could have killed me on any prior day of my life.
WOW! That's had a psychological impact.
Not a simple operation, either.
Best wishes to all for a great gathering at UFC's this weekend.