First Adirondack Winter Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
Thursday may not have been the warmest of days for a gathering, but the weekend turned out to be the reward.

Thursday after Ed (ADK4487) and I checked in, and recieved many weird looks from the front desk ladies we set up his warming tent for everyone to thaw out in. I attempted to then set up a small screen tent I brought, but it was to cold and the plastic adapter broke. Then to my tent, it was to cold for my elastic. It wouldn't spring back to put my poles together, so I was out a tent. We then retreted to Desperados for some mexican. 19 of us I believe. After I rolled Sean (Shizzmac) out of my jeep at the campsite I returned home to sleep out the nearly -30 temps in a warm bed. Many others followed my lead be sleeping at the Jackrabbit.About 4-5 people slept out that night.

The next morning I quickly set up my now warm tent and 10 of us set out for Street and Nye, and 4 of us got both of them. I only got to Nye, happy with that, yet a little disapointed. It was -25 on the summit and my legs were freezing, and getting there I had a difficult time breathing, my lungs burnt from the cold. After the hike we returned and warmed up in the info center at the loj and then hung out at a camp fire for a while before dinner at Mr Mikes pizza. A few of returned to a nice fire before turning in that night. It dropped to about -15 that night, but it didn't feel that bad. I woke up when it started snowing in my tent.

Saturday brought an absolutly gorgeous day, bright blue skies, no clouds, almost no wind, and temps in the positve digits. Me and Bushwacker climbed Whiteface via the old Marble Mt, t-bar trail. We had a nicely broken trial, and the climb felt great. The summit was warmed by the sun and the lack of wind helped. We descended down the steps to the castle and met the other group (Blue, Shizzmac, MichealJ, SherpaKroto, Audrey)who had skied up the toll road. One of the most beautiful days I can remember. That night we had a dinner at camp that consisted of so much food it would take three gathering to finish it all. From burgers and Kielbasa to peanut soup. From chili and stew to quasadilas. For desert you could pick from cookies, brownies made with cream-de-menth, pineapple cake, and ice cream sandwiches. To drink we all indulged in a little hot spiced wine and hot cider with spiced rum. We also had beer, cold wine, Cocoa with Sambuca ans oh ya did I mention beer. The sleep that night came fast, and it was pretty warm too. In fact I slept with my arms out of the sleeping bags for part of the night.

Sunday morning I broke down camp and went to breakfast with the gang at the Black Bear, where blackberry pancakes with sausage hit the spot. At the table we tallied up a count of 39 people at the gathering. On my way home I remembered one more. Turnbill was joining, me, Arm, SherpaKroto, Shizzmac, and Nancy for a climb of Cascade and Porter on Monday. So I believe that will be #40. So, 40 people, from 6 states ans 2 countries, not to bad for an arctic gathering.

The hike up Cascade and Porter was great, about -15 on the ridge with 45-50 mile an hour winds on the summit of Cascade. That was a rush in itself.

To wrap thing up I would like to send my thanks to all, for the great turnout, for the great food, for the great laughs, and the great memories with many new friends. A special thank you to Darren for making this all possible, even though he couldn't make it. So, how was Hawaii? A little to hot right?:)

See you all again real soon.

--Spence

From Lake Placid to Hawaii

Everyone up in the subfreezing Adirondacks wanted to share with Darren their feelings about his spending the weekend in Hawaii. Don't shoot me ... I'm just the web server / messenger. :D

Click on the image for the all-important closer view.
:p

Last edited:
Looks like a really fun time!

It's awesome that the weather got great for the weekend.

I thought about all of you a lot. I even felt a little envious a few times, wishing I were there.

Great pictures crazymama! MichaelJ, your picture is interesting as well... good shot of the group.

The pot luck descriptions are making me hungry.. corn bread with jalapenos, yumm!

I'm really glad you all had a fun time.

I'll be there for the next one.

donna

Thanks everyone for an excellent time. I enjoyed it enough to make me want to go back to the ADKs - in summer and winter!

My pictures are here!

Edit: oh.. by the way Seema - I've been in Chicken Tikka Heaven for 2 days....mmmmmmm

Last edited:
looks like everyone had a great time. Unfortunately I was in Germany for business for the week and didn't arrive back home until late sunday.

Hopefully next winter.

I'll see you guys out on the trails...

Happy Hikinmg/Skiing

Awesome pictures

Liza, great photos. I especially love your new avatar.

Awesome pictures everyone!

Like everyone else, I had a blast on Saturday. Spectacular weather, lots of food and drink, a massive campfire, and great people make for one memorable time...

Hat's off (or should I say legwarmer off?) to Peak_bgr for spearheading this event, and to everyone else who made this weekend such a success.

I wish that I was able to spend more than one day there, but there is always next time...

Hey everyone,

Well, I just got back from Lake Placid and have been enjoying reading about all your exploits. Sorry I missed most of you, but it was fun to catch up with Audrey and Pat and to meet Johnnycakes and Littlebear. And, though I don't look like it in Nancy's photo of me, I had fun hiking up to Cascade and Porter with Nancy, Arm, Sherpa, Shizzmac and Peak_bgr.

I've posted my photos of the hike here.

Turnbill: amazing clarity to your shots! Very nice day indeed to cap off a wonderful weekend. I enjoyed the hike and if I ever find more speed in my motor, hope to actually hike with you folks. Shizzmac, Peak_bgr and I had a great hike just a tad behind you, stopping often on the descent to relax and chat. Felt great - just didn't want the wekend to end :( I agree - pretty darn windy and cold on Cascade!

Thanks Sherp,

I'm looking forward to your photos. I want to see that one of Arm and me after we came down from Cascade - I must of looked like the mummy!

Nice pictures

Great pictures!
The last time on Cascade and Porter was a couple of winters ago at this time and the weather was entirely the opposite of your experience. We sat on the leaward side of the Cascade summit in just Light weight longjohns soaking up the heat and sun.!
Steveo

Sherpa--can you post the small film you took ontop of Cascade, that would be great to download and see again.

I think from what I heard, Nancy should be called "SPRUCETRAP".

Ditto to all of the positive comments about the VFTT First Adirondack Winter Gathering, my first opportunity to connect names and faces from this webpage. Thanks to those of you who broke out the trail for our 2004 Denali (Highpointers Up the Butt [as in the Washburn West Buttress Route]) group hike up Street and Nye on Saturday. And, many thanks for the hospitality, food, and drink around the campfire on Saturday evening. Best wishes to all for the remainder of the winter hiking season!