Bradford Washburn dies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP :(

A coincidence that I'm reading David Robert's Escape from Lucania which is about his and Bob Bates climb of the highest unclimbed peak in N.A. at the time and their adventure getting back out alive after their bush pilot couldn't pick them up after the climb. An interesting read of a pretty daring adventure!

Jay

My hero.

I thought of him recently as I sat on a cold bench at the Museum of Science, looking at stones and dinosaur bones, dreaming of mountains and canyons and wild places.

I am thinking of him now, as I sit at my desk, looking at my framed copy of his map of the Presidentials, still dreaming of mountains and canyons and wild places.

Goodbye, Mr. Washburn.

I have been wondering if he was still with us ...sad to read of his passing.
His friend Bob Bates lives nearby in this area... he, of course, is quite elderly.
Those guys were really on the cutting edge of things...always regarded with the highest of respect.
Quite the legacy indeed...

One of the true legends indeed. A sad day although he did live quite a full life.

He left a legacy for us to follow. A remarkable man whose choices set himself in a position of respect. RIP Bradford.

His name pops up often in my mind when I think of mountains... So of his lifeworks are iconic, both in a hiking/climmbing sense and photgraphic sense... His photos of mountains are awe inspiring....

A legend indeed. I was lucky enough to have met him for in a few instances while he was in his 90's. Though short of stature and showing wear, one look and you knew he was still tough as nails, even in his elder years. I can't imagine the pace he undoubtedly kept while he was young...and the story's he could tell.

His legacy is so vast and far reaching, that his impact on these mountains and those abroad will live on for centuries.

I think I'll stop by the Highland Center Gallery this weekend and pay my respects...

RIP Brad

Last edited:
Another Boston Globe article, from Jan. '06, pertaining to Bradford Washburn and one photographer's pursuit of his footsteps in order to document global warming.

I don't know how long this link will work so if there is a way to store it here, without violating copyrights, it might be available longer.

Bradford Washburn article

Such an immense talent, used wisely and well.

Farewell, Mr. Washburn. We'll think of you when we're in your mountains.

Tim Seaver said:
His "Climbers on the Doldenhorn " captures the spirit of climbing like no image I know of.
That's the picture I think of as well. There's a beautiful copy at the Highland Lodge in Crawford Notch. The scale of the prints makes them even more spectacular.

He'll be missed. Godspeed.

Brad Washburn

Of his many accomplishments, some of his earliest ones meant the most to me. His "Books for Boys" about his climbs in the Alps and on Mt. Washington, recently re-published, spoke to me about the mountains when I was a boy. Those two books and J. Ullman's Banner in the Sky kept me going in grade school and junior high. They remain great gifts for kids today. Years later, the chance to talk with Brad a few times were cherished moments. For all the places he had been and photographed, he never lost his love for the Whites.

Man that guy made his contribution to the mountain and scientific community for sure, god bless him. I have his old book on his early climbs on MT. Washington, he was and still is a legend. His photo's of the Whites are a great example of artistry, how many photos have we all seen of the Whites? look at some of his, visionary imo.

The stories he had from all of those amazing adventures were probably worth more than his incredible photos...

Talk about living life to the fullest, he was one of the few people on this planet who actually accomplished it... :)

His Museum of Science in Boston is amazing! I was lucky to be there several years ago when he had a large Mt Everest exhibit open. The museum is wonderful for kids and grownups.