Ski Conditions in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sherbie

Just back from a run
Was skiable, not bad- raining/sleeting out though!
about 5 inches of new snow on yesterday's
:rolleyes:

I hiked Kearsarge North today, and there was a couple inches of awesome snow, until it changed over to heavy sleet, and its prob freezing rain now. It broke my heart. El Nino needs to jump off a balcony.

grouseking

Skiing should be OK to pretty good. Not a lot of coverage (obviously) so the flatter the trail the better anything rocky will be tricky. I would guess that Lincoln Woods would be pretty nice, but I still wouldn't bring my good skis. Basing on the ski I just did at Great Glen Trails: great skating right now. Coverage is lean but conditions are great.

update?

Any update? (or is there a website where you can find out snowfall amounts in different areas)

here in Manchester we have between 1/2" and 1" of snow on top of a quarter-inch of ice. I'm wondering what it is further north (would like to go snowshoeing but minimize the drive to winter :D )

You will love this resource!

www.erh.noaa.gov/box/snowmaps.shtml

Sometimes it helps to check a ski area website near to where you wish to go and check on the XC conditions if they have them. They will often have a morning update of new snowfall and amount of natural snow on the ground.

The X-C conditions on several miles of woods trails (that are closed to snowmobiles) in the Freedom/Ossipee area were very good yesterday. While the snowpack was just a few inches deep, it was compact and fast, with no bare spots. Wonderfully detailed animal tracks (deer, fox, rabbit and little critters, in profusion) provided some extra entertainment..

Waterville Valley on 1/21

I skate-skied Waterville yesterday. About 20km.

Livermore Road - Good, with a few spot requiring caution (regular skiers know where the thin spots tend to be.)

Upper Snows - to Cascade Brook - Good, a few spots of "snirt"

Lower Osceola - Very Good, a bit of tree droppings from all the wind, but excellent coverage

Osceola Vista / "Bob's Lookout" - Very Good -- I skied laps around this for a while, best snow

Moose Run / Wicked Easy / Osceola Trail -- Not recommended - very thin coverage and a ton of tree debris

Tripoli Road -- I did not ski it but it sure looked like Lower Osceola and based on previous experience should be quite good.

John Deere / Upper Osceola -- I started up this trail, but it didn't look too promising so I turned back.

Tim

Here in Madison, we got about 2" of very fine powder overnight, still snowing very lightly. :D

Happy Trails :)