[OT] Nasa names a rock 'Adirondack'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pictures and 3d model here:
Mars Rover Home Page

Oh yah, almost forgot, they are going to grind it.

Oh, one more comment, the translation of Adirondack is "They of the great rocks." Funny that I picked that up on a Nasa page.

(looks like they updated the web page..maybe this link will stay put.

Last edited:
Mars 'Adirondack' Rock

If I'm not mistaken, that could be a scale model of Nippletop. On second thought, maybe I tripped over that rock on the Calamity Brook trail.:D

Can't wait to ascend Olympus Mons and establish VFTT Mars!

Soon the whole area was referred to as the Adirondacks, but the name "Adirondack" was not the name of one individual tribe, although it is an authentic Indian word. It was originally a term the Iroquois used to refer to the Algonquins who were forced to live on tree buds and bark during the severe winters. However the meaning of the term "adirondack" is often disputed. J.B. Hewitt of the Smithsonian Institution believed that it was derived from the language of a tribe of Indians that lived on the lower Saint Lawrence in the early 1500's and that it meant "They of the Great Rocks". When it was passed on to the Iroquois the meaning got jumbled to mean "They Who Eat Trees".

from www.adirondack.net/history

Maybe somebody could find a more authoritative source...

Last edited:
The 47th Adirondack High Peak?

Is Mars considered >4000 ft above earth sea level? Do we add this one to the 46? It sounds like an easier approach hike than Couchie:D