Vacuum Thermoses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mongoose said:
It sounds like I should pick one up then. Hot water is always nice to have. It could be handy in an emergency too if someone is getting hypothermia.

I have heard that Gelatin mixed into hot water is supposed to be absolutely great for hypothermic people. Throw some hot water into the Thermos and add some Jello to it might make for a killer emergency necessity!!!!

B.

I've noticed that the liquid in my thermos cools down rapidly if I leave the stopper out. (No surprise there, evaporative cooling is very effective.) I haven't tried using a wide mouth thermos, but I would think that no matter how hot it kept food until you opened it, if it is stew or something else that requires that you leave the top off; most of the food would be cold by the time you could eat it.

Preheating definitely helps. I picked up a mid-size thermos at TJ Maxx and it never kept anything warm more than a few hours. I tried it on two hikes then, after asuring it wasn't operator error, cut my losses and discarded it. I've got a large one (LL Bean) that it works great. The only problem I've had is sometimes tightening the lid too tight and then having trouble opening it up. I have another one with a button switch on the lid but at first couldn't remember which was open and which was closed and sometimes fluid dribbled out. :rolleyes: Finally I took the time to figure it out and, behold, it works great now, too. ;)

So, as most have posted, yes a stainless steel vacuum bottle for hot beverages is a lovely luxury, but like all luxuries, it comes with a price tag: Extra weight.

Somewhere in this thread, someone posted their experience with their wide-mouth thermos not maintaining heat for very long compared to the small-mouth variety. I am hoping to rejuvenate this question so some of the scientist/physicist(sp?) types here can unravel this mystery for the rest of us "less-than-astute" folk.

I wonder if it has to do with the larger surface area of the opening not being so well insulated as the majority of the container. MAYBE the heat is being lost there?

Also, i can attest to "wicked hot" coffee for prolly 18 hours and very warm coffee at the 24hr mark. I love my $4 EMS 1.5 liter stainless steel thermos and the other $7 1 liter stainless steel thermos's (i bought two at that price!!!!) i managed to grab as a PT gear-slinger there.

I'd say buy one - you'll likely not regret it.

fm

I used to be an ultralight hiker but now I'm willing to carry a little extra weight to be more comfortable, especially at camp. I finally broke down and got some down booties rather than diving into my bag at the end of the day. The vacuum thermos will be another few ounces I'm willing to lug if it makes my hike better. I can't wait to go hiking tomorrow.

Yeah, what Grumpy said, all of it. Except I have only a single 30+ year old, large Stanley narrow mouth and a smaller stainless one similar to his. And I hold no truck with the wide mouths -- too inefficient at keeping things warm.

Plus this: On an overnight trip, last act with stove at night is to fill the bottle with boiling water (be sure to wipe off moisture on stopper threads and inside cup before sealing.) Bottle goes in sleeping bag to keep me warm. Bottle comes out in the morning, full of either very warm or warm water, depending on overnight temperature. Water goes into pot, stove goes on, and instant oatmeal is ready in a couple minutes. No collecting snow, no melting snow in pot, no collecting more snow to fill pot, no thawing feet from standing around waiting for pot to boil . . . well, perhaps you have the idea by now.

Sure it weighs something. So does the fuel to melt snow each morning from scratch at the coldest time of the day, as well as the extra pair of boots you''ll need to carry to fit your now-frozen, swollen feet . . . :eek:

Last edited:
Thermoses for winter hikes

Grumpy said:
My practice is to fill the bottles with scalding hot water and let them sit for a while to warm up before refilling them with whatever goodies I plan to take on the go. This is a good trick that really does work.
G.
This really works well.

Hello View from the Top Board Members ! This is a great board and I do appreciate participating here.

Thermoses in winter ? :) Big Time ! Immediate hot food serving , especially ,on those frigid days, where you can't linger on the summit.I use the complete stainless steel ones. (Almost bomb proof)Thermos and Arcosteel brand.

Winter day hikes..best thing that works for me is three thermoses, for two hikers. Two 1/2 quart sizes and one wide mouth quart.

One 1/2 quart gets hot lemonaid.This is always very popular. (Boiled lemonaid with some honey and a tiny dash of cayenne pepper..test first !) Second 1/2 quart gets boiling water. Quart gets soup or stew.

Lunch starts with the hot lemonaid and then the soup. The extra 1/2 quart is for emergency or tea hot tea after the hike.

Mongoose, you will be pleased.

I bought a vacuum thermos and tested it out. I put boiling water in it and put it in my fridge. 12 hours later the water was still hot. This is going to be a great addition to my next trip!

I noticed the cap on the thermos gets warm, which means heat is escaping through the cap. Do you think putting it in the pack upside down will help it stay warmer longer, since heat rises? I should get a thermometer and test it.

Mongoose said:
I noticed the cap on the thermos gets warm, which means heat is escaping through the cap. Do you think putting it in the pack upside down will help it stay warmer longer, since heat rises? I should get a thermometer and test it.

Upside down means the hot liquid is in direct contact with the cap, so I would suspect it might lose heat faster that way.

Tim