2007 Brain Tumor Society charity hike qs.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lesser Known Presi

Dugan said:
I've heard that traversing the LT from Camel's Hump to Mansfield, or vice versa, is called the equivalent of a VT Presi Traverse.

Actually I think it's a more mild section of the trail south of that. Between Middlebury Gap and Lincoln Gap. I did it last year From the Emily Proctor side trail.

It's not a demanding hike in any way. Unless you consider avoiding piles and piles of moose poop to be demanding.See Trip Report

Last edited:
Dugan said:
I've heard that traversing the LT from Camel's Hump to Mansfield, or vice versa, is called the equivalent of a VT Presi Traverse.

It's actually yucky in there. From the Hump there's a lengthy road walk to the bridge crossing of the Winooski River, which is the lowest spot on the LT, then more road walk until back on the trail. I can see it being the equivalent in terms of elevation gain, from lowest spot up to highest (Mansfield), though.

In addition to the S. Taconic Trail, I'd suggest the Wapack at 23 miles, or the Nothern half of the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway 27 miles, or the north most section of the MSG 17 miles. Doesn't hurt that I'd save on gas too!

Regarding the TCT, I agree, there are lots of bailouts, roughly every 6-7 miles.

There is a group that organizes a hike of the TCT every other year, I think. Peakbagger used to be involved. They had several check points setup along the way at roads.

ADK's/ Pemi?

Actually, doing a Great Range Traverse in the ADK's would be different for me. I don't know the exact details, but I know it is tough. I have never hiked anywhere in NY, so it would be an excellent start. I know it would be new for many of the folks who hike in NH, ME and VT. :)

The Pemi Traverse would be tough, but there are huts and bailouts points which logistically would make for easier support. The other concern about a Pemi hike is would the USFS permit such a large group to do this? You can only have 10 or less per group, which would mean staggered starts or a N/S group and a S/N group. I was thinking of a Bonds, Zealand, Hale, with maybe the Twins added in, for those who are really in good shape. :)

amstony said:
You can only have 10 or less per group, which would mean staggered starts or a N/S group and a S/N group. I was thinking of a Bonds, Zealand, Hale, with maybe the Twins added in, for those who are really in good shape. :)

Is that a camping regulation or an actual hiking regulation?

Typically, or at least historically, hikers have been kind of staggered either naturally or via the shuttling process. Some folks like to get a lead on others who feel they can sleep in. I don't think we've ever really had all hikers starting at the same time...and of course, faster hikers tend to leave the slower hikers behind..

Jay

Jay H said:
Is that a camping regulation or an actual hiking regulation?

Typically, or at least historically, hikers have been kind of staggered either naturally or via the shuttling process. Some folks like to get a lead on others who feel they can sleep in. I don't think we've ever really had all hikers starting at the same time...and of course, faster hikers tend to leave the slower hikers behind..Jay

Jay,

I have been told its a USFS reg because it is a protected wilderness area. When I went on a traverse with AMC a few years back, the TL told us he had actually been given a $25.00 fine for exceeding the group limit a few months before. :eek:

There are some real experts on that stuff on this board, so if they could chime in and help with the explanation it would be appreciated. :)

Tony

I have done the TCT end-to-end and it does indeed have bailout points. I agree that it has some not so great sections with lots of ATV usage, and it also has some beautiful spots like Berlin (how do you pronounce that?) Mountain (which is on the viewsandbrews list by the way).

I like the idea of of doing something with me on the trail :) but that could be difficult to coordinate and would make it later in the year than you would normally do.

I love the sound of spanning the LT as an event. Maybe we could just try to do that for fun sometime anyway. It would certainly require some planning :D although "the planner" is not available for that for awhile so someone else would have to do that unless it waited for another year.

58 days and counting....

I hiked 2 of the 46'ers last summer and I fell in love with the area! I am all for for something in the ADK region. The Long trail idea sounds great, but an absolute logistical nightmare.

2007 BTS hike

any website info for this brain tumor society? any date set for this hike? i'm interested in joining others for this hike, as well as raising some money (i survived a brain tumor in 1994).

dottie

Hi Dottie :D , no date set yet but usually we try to pick a weekend near the longest day (sunlight) so typically it's been mid June, near the solstice.

I always setup a fund raising page through www.firstgiving.com and with the folks at TBS which Ivy put a link to, but that's next on the agenda. Of course, we still have traditional fundraising. In fact, there's probably more traditional fundraising offline than on, historically.

Jay

After having completed the Long Trail, I have to say that while it's a great backpacking experience, I wouldn't recommend it for an event like this. The views are too few and, in general it desn't have the right feel for this event. It's not a dramatic enough challenge. There should be more to it than just tacking on more miles of moderate grade terrain with good footing. From a fund raising standpoint, a section of a trail over two or three high peaks isn't a big seller.

I like the idea of the CT AT and while it would be really cool to try to do in a day and it would probably get a good draw from this group, it probably falls into the same catagory as the LT, unless a few people are dedicated to the idea of actually trying to do this in a single day. It's 52 miles total. Other people could do half, a quarter, or whatever mileage suits them best.

I've never been hiking in NY before so the Great Range sound cool.

Finally, I think the Pemi Loop would be a very good fit as well. People can start wherever and end wherever. There are plenty of bailouts too. There's no need to worry about the group size as the Wilderness, Osseo, Franconia Ridge, and Garfield Ridge trails are not in the Pemi Wilderness so that rule doesn't apply. The chances of more than 10 people travelling along the Bondcliff Trail together late in this event would be very slim. People tend to go at their own pace either solo or with only a few other people, especcially at the end of the day. Folks starting up the Bonds first would be a minority so little risk of more than 10 in a group there either.

My .02 cents or maybe .05 cents:

Presi-traverse was easier than Franconia Ridge & Garfield Ridge & back to car at Lincioln Woods. Bonds & Twins + Galehead & back to Lincoln Woods easier than other 1/2 of the loop, about the same as a PT.

Great Range Traverse would be much harder IMO, can't park many cars at Garden, long walk in & out. If we planned far enough ahead maybe you get get JBL the night before, start early & then end at JBL for post hike party. (Did Great Range in two days as part of trip to JBL - Northern 4 on day one & Saddlback to Haystack on Day two - had been to Marcy Previously On way out went over Big Slide & Brothers)

Logistics for LT seem too hard

I like the idea of a South Taconic Traverse, or Kilkenny or how about Kinsman Ridge Traverse. Taconic Crest seems okay too. Is there a good spot from App Gap South beyond Lincoln Gap or would that be enough?

Like idea of a few of the Pemi options, Twins & Bonds or Zealand & Garfield Ridge or OBP, Garfield Ridge to Twinway too.

OK folks, I'll be honest with you all, been kind of lethargic on the planning for this but I am hopefully getting my act together soon. I've been so busy with my house renovation and many things going on.. But I'm thinking this event isn't going to be as hard as the previous years while I continue to ponder the logistics of a Great Range traverse in the ADKs...

I'm thinking of some peaks in VT, perhaps not in the traditional summer solstice timeframe but more like the fall. This will be pretty, will also allow everybody's summertime plans to be done and gone and I think we'll be fun.

I'm either thinking Abraham/Ellen on the Long Trail or Camel's Hump and Mansfield further north, dates are flexible now, but sometime in the fall would be nice I think and it will be a change of pace from the traverses we have done and would attract folks still looking at the VT peaks on the NE115 and those that perhaps didn't get to do them at the VT gathering, etc. etc.

Jay

Any news? (bump post back to page 1)

September would be a nice time of year, it's bad for me since business travel has me away from home for at least 6 days/nights & it's the beginning of the school year. (kids & wife is a teacher)

IMO The logistics involved with parking or shuttling hikers into the Garden make that the Great Range a poor option. I think a NH trip would get more participants & therefore potentially more $$$ which is really the cause.

That said, from memory of the maps:
In VT, an App Gap to Lincoln Gap seems to offer best option of views & ridge hiking & not too hard to set up logistically. Doing Camel's Hump coming down to the river & then back up to Mansfield seems to be a lot of up & down & from what I understand the low elevation walk is pretty mundane. (Any Hike & Kayak opportunity? logistics nightmare I would guess) Any options over smaller 3K peaks south of Lincoln like from Brandon Gap to Middlebury Gap? How many miles? Mt. Horrid, Cape Lookoff, Worth & Romance, any views? Chomp, Double Bow or other LT hikers have options:

In ADK's: (deferring to those with more ADK experience than me)
Up the Classic RPR & Giant trip from Route 9 & down to Route 73, some logistics made easier because I would think more people willing to go in either direction.

How about and Elk Lake to St. Huberts traverse of the Colvin Range? Parking I would think is easier than the Garden & while somewhat under the radar screen for elevation & promience, it would be nice.

ADK Loj parking is largest in the ADK's or than Marcy Field which is mostly a shuttle lot for the Garden. If I recall correctly tou can get up Porter (& Cascade) from Marcy Field, any other options? Can you get to the Loj from there & see anything other than trees?

From the Loj, how many miles to Tahawus? Many options to get there, either over Marcy & down to 4C (or bushwhack to Gray & down to 4C) , thru Indian Pass, over Algonquin & down to the Lake, just past Avy Lake & Lake Colden or past Lake Arnold. What's the parking like at Tahawus? Getting back & forth harder then the other options too. (likely harder than C-Notch To Gorham)

Andrew, Darren usually organizes the Ride for Research and usually puts up his own sticky thread and stuff, you can always email Darren or any of the others who rode it last year for info. I have info on it at home because I get the TBTS newsletter (Heads UP) and I'm sure they have info on it now at their website (www.tbts.org)...

As far as the ADKs go, yes, you can get to Porter and Cascade from Marcy Field, you go up and over Blueberry Mtn and around(?) little porter to Porter and then Cascade. I don't know the distance between the Loj and Tahawus.

Parking down there is a lot smaller than the Loj, plus it's a fairly popular spot for many of the peaks near flowed lands...

Maybe one year, we'll hold a kayak TBTS event.... I know there are a bunch of kayakers here, a sea kayaker myself, we could hold it at a place where there could be a flatwater river to paddle as well as say perhaps some open water/ocean...

Jay