Broad topic (and not just cuz I'm a girl)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
I'm fishing for some ideas here. In Sept. Chip and I are going to be taking a 3-4 week trip out to the northwest. We've never been before. The very tentative plan is to fly in to Calgary, drive through some of the Canadian Rockies, over to Vancouver. Then heading down the coast of Washington, Oregon and N.Cali.

We will be doing a combination of things, not all hiking. Chip isn't really into backpacking or extended camping so we will most likely do dayhikes, a little car camping, sight seeing, local flavor (I love tasting the locals), and brewery hits.
Rogue brewery (yum!) has aBed & Beer.

What things are the 'not to miss' gems, hidden places I might otherwise overlook, waste of time places...any little tidbits people can offer.

Thanks.

p.s. anyone want to take care of my cat for 3 weeks???? :eek:

Rainier National Park . . . go and hike up to Camp Muir or atleast the base of the snowfields. If you go to CA, don't miss Yosemite, particularly hiking in from Tuolumne Meadows. The Tetons are gorgeous . . .

And finally, can I come? you can pack me into the trunk. :)
And if the little sista and the boy agree, I can take your cat for 3 weeks :D

sli74

Toe Cozy said:
What things are the 'not to miss' gems, hidden places I might otherwise overlook, waste of time places...any little tidbits people can offer.

The Olympic Penisula in WA, Crater Lake in OR, Redwood National Forest in CA....

I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest, but have been to the Canadian Rockies. I'm not sure what kind of dayhikes you are you looking for there, but my three favorites were Cirque Peak (from Lake Helen - near the border of Jasper and Banff), Burgess Pass (Yoho), and Sentinel Pass (Steve also did Mt. Temple from the pass which looked amazing). In general, Banff is better for dayhiking than Jasper. The standards like Lake Louise, Lake Moraine, Edith Cavell glacier, etc are worth seeing, but do so early in the morning to avoid the hordes of people.

I loved, loved our backpacking trips there, so if you end up doing some backpacking I would suggest checking out Berg Lake in Mt. Robson Provincial Park (the day hike to Kinney Lake along this trail would also be nice), Tonquin Valley in Jasper, the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay, the Brazeau Loop (we didn't finish this the first year due to weather, but it's supposed to be really nice), the Skyline Trail (haven't done it, but it's supposed to be a good one).

If you want to go to Lake O'Hara -- book super early (I'm still a little bitter that we didn't get to go there =P).

The book I really liked for planning was The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Patton and Robinson. If you want to look at any pics/trip notes we have two galleries on our pbase webpage .

Sounds like you are going to have an awesome trip!

If you're heading down the Oregon Coast, be sure to check out Oregon Dunes. There are tons of parks along the way too, with birding and hiking and tidepooling and lighthouse-viewing galore. If you're going to visit the Bend, Oregon area, the High Desert Museum, Newberry Crater, Deschutes Brewery, Sisters Wilderness... too many places to list.

If you can get a permit, and you're up for the hike, go to the top of Mt. St. Helens.

If you're planning on staying at Crater Lake you might be out of luck. They book up over a year in advance. But there are other motels and campgrounds nearby.

I've only been here (Portland) for 6 months but I've got alot of these places under my belt already. Check out my galleries (OR coast, etc., Northwest Hiking) and blog for more ideas or PM me if you want. Have fun!

Reactions: arm
gotta love Banff...

Hmmmm, the Canadian Rockies.....

I would definitely make a stop over in Banff and take a soak in the hot springs. Make your stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel and enjoy a nice meal or two and then head up to Sunshine Village for some great skiing. Another nice place to stay is the Rocky Mountain Resort. It's a condo style and was quite nice the last time i was there, though it is a 5-10 minute drive from downtown Banff.

What a great holiday!!! Of course, not that i am jealous, envious, covetous, or any other 'ous'...

fm

DOH!!! Just noticed you will be going in SEPTEMBER!!!! OK, scratch the hot springs and Sunshine Village recommendations. Lotsa great hiking/scrambles around Mt. Rundle though and it is simply a beautiful place to be.

Last edited:
I see, it's gonna hafta be a 6 month trip.

Crappity, crap...this is what I feared. There are way too many places I want to experience out there. I just don't know how to single out 3 weeks worth. A nice problem to have, I realize. Thanks for all the ideas. Lots to research. And since it's a long time until Sept....as other ideas enter your head and if you remember this thread after it's cold and dead (I rhymed that on purpose :eek: ) please post!

The coast of OR is worth see'n, Spend a day at Crater Lake NP, And another in Jedediah Smith Redwood SP, and for even bigger and better trees, Humbolt SP, both in CA.
If it's beer you're looking for, you HAVE to go to Ft Bragg, CA on 'the' rt 1. The North Coast Brewing Co. for the Old Rasputin, Russian Imperial Stout. Last I heard it was like the third best beer is the States. In OR we stopped a a nice little brew pub in Lincoln City, on the coast.

From what I can recall, Jasper and Banff were really cool. Calgary is ok, kind of a rundown city. Some of the old Olympic stuff there is kinda cool though. Not sure if they still do this, but you used to be able to luge down the lower 1/2 of the Olympic luge run for a few bucks. They don't even give you luge lessons, just take your money, give you a push, and say good luck!

sli74 said:
And finally, can I come? you can pack me into the trunk. :)
And if the little sista and the boy agree, I can take your cat for 3 weeks :D
sli74

Seema, I'll probably hit you up for more info on Rainier, but in person or email. As for putting you in the trunk, well that would be fine we'll just request the mobster caddy w/the 6 body trunk and you'll be able to put up your Cloudburst and everything! (as long as you practice LNT, you can only make a fire in the donut spare).

As for the cat...if you're in the trunk who's gonna take care of the cat?

Sweeper: I'm in the car driving to Ft. Bragg right now for that beer!

From my little preliminary research it looks like there would be a lifetime of "views and Brews" hiking to do in the Northwest. Hmmm...I may never come back.

Jessbee: Thanks for those links, I'll be checking them out.

MissionsMan: Does Sept. really eliminate enjoying hot springs? I thought they might be like natural hot tubs so okay any time of year? No? I've never been.

Rainier got pounded in November by storms, and the damage sounds like it's the worst since it was designated a national park. It's so bad that the Park Service has a special web page: November 2006 Flooding. For example, the Wonderland Trail around the mountain is gone, yes gone, in many spots. EDIT: The park was closed on November 6 and remains closed right now, with very lmited access allowed.

It's likely that other areas of WA and OR will have similar problems that might not be apparent until the snow melts late in the spring. (The PCT is not passable in some parts typically until June or even July.)

I'd get some very specific local info before committing to any plans.

Last edited:
Reserve the bus ride(10 miles) into the Lake O'Hara preserve. Unbelieveable scenery and hiking. Pick one of the high routes or alpinist routes, back to the Lake O'Hara Lodge for late afternoon high tea, and then catch the bus back to your car.
Or, if you can get reservations, plan a couple of nights as their guest.

Contrary opinion (and not just cuz I'm a dude):
With 3 - 4 weeks...don't plan anything. Rent a car, buy some maps, and just wing it. OK, have a general plan to get back to where you need to leave when you need to be there, but just fill in the middle with whatever sounds good that day.

Suggestion on order: See the US mtns first, then go to the Canadian Rockies. That way the drama will build.

In theatrical terms, the Canadian Rockies are a tough act to follow.

Doug

Or just spend the 3 weeks in the Canadian Rockies and save the US stuff for another trip . . .

I was thinking about planning one of our next all girls trips out west to Crater Lake in OR so don't go there cause you gotta come with me ;)

sli74

sli74 said:
I was thinking about planning one of our next all girls trips out west to Crater Lake in OR so don't go there cause you gotta come with me ;)sli74

Actually, Seema, I figure I'll just go with you and Brian to Alaska this summer and you can come with us in the fall. I think we should rent an RV and just take a small crew(and the cat). How about we just quit our jobs and start out on an adventure that includes both Alaska and the Northwest and then ends up in Mexico and Central America for the winter and then heading down to South America after that? Who's gonna be our sugar daddy/momma for that plan? Any takers?

Trailbiscuit: Part of what inspired this trip is the idea of living life more fully and not being tied down to the obligations of work expectations all the time. And someday being able to do the wandering thing for a longer period of time. So, a general plan and then following our eyes and impulses on a day to day basis was going to be part of that. But I want to get some ideas floating around in my empty brain and a little knowledge of what to keep my eyes open for.

DougPaul: I like the idea of building the theatrical drama....very poetic and could make for a better trip.

MissionsMan: Does Sept. really eliminate enjoying hot springs? I thought they might be like natural hot tubs so okay any time of year? No? I've never been.
Both times we were in the Canadian Rockies in September it snowed. One of those times we spent the day at Miette hot springs in Jasper. Very cool to sit in the hot springs while it's snowing outside! But if it was nice out, I think I'd rather be hiking than sitting in the springs. I haven't been to the springs in Banff (honestly, we try to avoid the more populated areas on our trips).