That's NOT how you say it !!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Warning: Controversial topic ahead (or so I've heard)...

What is the correct pronunciation of the following:

Kancamagus
Moosilauke
Coos (as in the county)
willey (as in the mountain)
Scaur (as in the ridge)
Pemigewasset
Nauman (as in the campsite)
Bond (kidding)

...any others?

another one - Tripoli Rd.

Heard it as "Triple-E", "Triple-eye", and "Trip-ollie". I'm considering using "Tree-PO-lie" to lend it some flair.

Of course, what should I know? There is a world of difference between subtleties of pronunciation and just plain missing the bus altogether. I found out once when I asked someone directions to the "Mitzvah Hut". Oy...

Some faves:
Newsowadnehunk (Maine - Baxter)
Aziscohos (Maine - Rangeley area)
Umbagog (NH, Maine border)

Some outside the mountains in Mass:
Gloucester
Worcester
Medford
Woburn
Revere

Regards,
Marty

Last edited:
The American Indian has left us New Yorkers with Iroquois, Seneca, Mohawk and Oneida for sure, but way over here we deal with the likes of Tuscarora, Tonawanda, Lackawana, Cheektowaga and Scajaquada :eek: on a daily basis!!

Fellow WNYer's in Rochester area know Chili (and it ain't what you eat!!) say Ch (as in chime) with I - lie (Ch-I-lie) -- from which we may have to drive through on your way to hike in Allegany, Cattauragus or Chautauqua counties.

Last edited:
Tripoli is "Triple eye" -- read that in the Bill Gove book on the East Branch RR book. The road is named after the mineral found at the bottom of the east pond of the same name (there was a mill and RR leading up there to harvest the mineral too!). For the longest time I though it was trip-polli, thinking it was named after some Italian dude!

Another Massachusetts one that I hear a lot:

"Billerica" (Bill - Rika) -- I work there, oh god all the names we hear! My company used to get these packages addressed to "Bill Ricker". It took everyone a while to realize people were misunderstanding the town name when being instructed where to send packages!

bubba said:
Fellow WNYer's in Rochester area know Chili (and it ain't what you eat!!) say Ch (as in chime) with I - lie (Ch-I-lie) -- from which we may have to drive through on your way to hike in Allegany, Cattauragus or Chautauqua counties.

I went to RIT in Rochester. Used to hear that one a lot from the Freshies :) Another good one out there is Irondequoit

marty said:
Some outside the mountains in Mass:
Gloucester
Worcester
Medford
Woburn
Revere
lessee, not sure if I've quite got it right:

GLAW-stuh
WUIH-stuh
MED-fuhd
WOOOO-buhn
Re-VEEE-ah

My friend Teddy and I used to play a game with the W towns in Massachusetts, you each had to say one town that hadn't been mentioned before & you lost if you couldn't think of one.

Kancamagus...

How do you get the first and third syllables to rhyme with "'bang"?!!!

Think "beer kan " for the first syllable. The second and third syllables rhyme with "ah". The last syllable sounds like the name "gus".

can-cah-mah-gus, not cang-ga-mang-gus.

Happy Trails :)

forestnome said:
Kancamagus...

How do you get the first and third syllables to rhyme with "'bang"?!!!

Think "beer kan " for the first syllable. The second and third syllables rhyme with "ah". The last syllable sounds like the name "gus".

can-cah-mah-gus, not cang-ga-mang-gus.

Happy Trails :)
thanks 'nome, count me as one former cang-mang'r ! ;)

How about some more phonetics ? As an outatownah I worry about these things.
It's Pemmy-jew-wah-sit, no ?

Last edited:
this is fun!!!! :D If we all just agree on " the kanc" and "the pemi" then that solves the problem....but its soooo much more fun to add more names to the list....
how about these....Barre
ottaquechee
ompompanoosuc
Sagadahoc
Passumpsic

4 from VT, one from ME.

marty said:
[How could I forget this one? My in-laws live in Marblehead, MA (pronounced Mobble HEAD - with strong emphasis on the "HEAD").

Born there !! :)

Last edited: