Pet Scents Attracting Bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Ok, I know better than to cook near my gear. I know some areas require bear cannisters. I know to hang my pack 10' off the ground, a certain distance away from the trunk. And even then...

Is there any danger in pet's scents (in this case, a 45 lb. Dalmation-Australian Shepperd mix left at home) rubbing off onto gear & attracting bears for a meal?

lx93 said:
Ok, I know better than to cook near my gear. I know some areas require bear cannisters. I know to hang my pack 10' off the ground, a certain distance away from the trunk. And even then...

Is there any danger in pet's scents (in this case, a 45 lb. Dalmation-Australian Shepperd mix left at home) rubbing off onto gear & attracting bears for a meal?
Bears can smell food thru sealed metal cans!

I'll let you decide if they can smell your dog!

Your dog's food smell might, but I'd guess actual DOG smell would deter bear as dogs are often used to hunt bear. That and bear aren't real carnivores, more opportunistic when it comes to meat. I'm more concerned with food, pots/pans and container handling during the outing.

From the 'food' perspective, the woods are full of all kinds of animals, so I'm not sure why the smell of a dog would be more desireable than, say, a rabbit ... or, for that matter, a human. :eek:

From the 'territory' perspective (brown bears and grizzlies), the smell of dog on your gear might attract a bear. But, again, I'd put the smell of a human on that list too.

Unless your dog ate an onion then peed all over your down sleeping bag, I don't think you have anything (more than usual) to worry about. :D

-BriFly

Thanx

Thanx everyone for the insight, some thoughts I hadn't considered. It's a relief to know that I can store the gloves/earmuffs, etc., around the dog & not have to worry.

Marty,
The thought of Glacier Ntl. Park in Montana, Idaho's Sawtooth Mts., Oregon/Washington's Cascade Mts., etc. make the photographer in me drool.
The thought of the brown bears & grizzly bears in these places make me check up on my life insurance policy.

My dogs have always kept bears away. Once while backpacking in the Daks I set up camp in the Dix Wilderness, not knowing there was a treed bear near my site, and after being in camp just a few minutes, the bear saw the opportunity to run and took it.

One of the issues I've read about concerning dogs and bears in the Smokies is the concern that if your dog chases a bear, there is the chance the bear may turn to defend itself and take chase after the dog -- who will most likely come running back to you.

As its been said above, bears have an incredible sense of smell, and you and your dog are more likely to be a bear deterent in Black Bear country.

Agreed with una_dogger. It has always been my understanding that dog scent will deter a black bear, not attract one. I recall a conversation with someone who purposely 'marks' their campsite with dog fur if the dog itself is not camping with him.

FWIW, putting dog fur on the outside of the garden keeps the deer away, too. :)

Grizzly bears are, of course, a whole other story.

blacknblue said:
FWIW, putting dog fur on the outside of the garden keeps the deer away, too. :)

human hair too, but better to use mens hair for a true barber rather than that from a "salon" as women tend to treat their hair with harsh chemicals.

Usually works for all but the most voracious deer...like the ones here in Jersey.. :D

M

As far as polar bears are concerned, you and your pets are on the menu. Not much of a problem here in the NE...

Most Grizzly attacks are defensive.

Blacks are likely to run away if you make noise etc, but have occasionally made predatory attacks on humans (ie viewing the human in question as food).

Doug

I figured polar bears in the White Mts., ADK, Southern Sixers, etc., were pretty much nothing to worry about.

But if I ever made a trip to Denali, maybe some parts of the Canadian Rockies, etc., they're a part of the scenery that I'd rather not see.