seeking plastic boot advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeke

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a pair of plastic boots and have narrowed the field to two candidates: Koflach Arctis Expe (at $365, near the outer extreme of my budget) and Scrapa Inverno (at $279, a little more affordable).

My foot (size 10) is wide, with a low arch, and I know the Invernos tend to fit a wider foot. The Koflachs are marginally heavier but warmer. I’m leaning toward the plastics because my feet tend to run cold, and I’m looking for warmth. In addition to comfort, I want that added warmth in case of accident and also because I may use the boots on multi-day trips.

I know that fit is very important (I’ll probably buy these from the Mountaineer in Keene Valley, so I’m counting on a professional fit). Can anyone steer me toward or away from either of these models? I’ll use them mainly for winter hiking in the Dacks.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
zeke

I tried on the Arctis Expe 2 years ago before I got a pair of Degres. They have a more rigid binding, one too much rigid for my liking, the Expes seem to have a plastic piece that makes the lower boot to upper boot very stiff, more so than the Degres which I found uncomfortable. In fact, I still am not that particular to the stiffness of the Degres and plastic boots in general but that is just me. I bought a pair of Scarpa Charmoz which is a leather mountaineering boot for a ridiculous price and I really like it. I think it is a bit wider than the Koflach but I don't think you can compare plastic mtn'ing boots with leather ones but I'll put that out there.

If you're at the Mountaineer, check out the upstairs, you'll sometimes find the Koflachs there and if you're lucky, in your size...

Jay

Much depends on your own comfort with stiffer or softer boots. I use Koflach Verticals, which are really an ice climbing boot, and I don't mind the stiffness at all. Kinda like it, in fact, but that's just me. That company's boots are first class, in my opinion. I rented some Degres before I bought these a few years ago, and I liked those, too.

So if you can figure out what's right for you, that will go a long way toward answering the question.

Try them both. I'd guess that the Mountaineer has a rental pool, so work out a rental that will get credited to the purchase.

I use the Degre, and have been warm down to -25F (maybe a bit colder...). They are warm and comfortable, and I love them. I've taken many multi-night trips with them. To me, they are the perfect boot to have in the Northeast. When trying the boots out, definitely try them on as varied terrain as you can find: hard and soft snow, ice, dirt, rock, flats, gradual and steep. With a stiff boot, you'll find that on some conditions you love them, others you hate them. Best to match the boot to the conditions that you plan to use them on, and know in advance what they don't feel well on. Not much eats a foot up faster than the wrong boot for the wrong conditions.

The Arctis Expe is somewhat warmer than the Degre. The former is favored in Alaska for its warmth and rigidity; the latter is favored in the Northeast for its adequate warmth, lighter weight, and greater flexibility. Artcis Expe is more money than Degre and considerably heavier. Degre is probably the number 1 double boot for Northeastern winter hikers of all brands.

Note that Koflach improved the liner on the Degre a couple years ago. Consignment and retired rental boots may have the older liner.

Fit can vary between Arctis Expe, Degre and Vertical for the same size. Be sure to try the pair of boots you're thinking of buying, and try them for a very long time in the store.

Bottom line on Koflach choices: I'd buy Arctis Expe only if my feet were really susceptible to cold, or I were going to use them regularly in Alaska or the colder parts of Canada. Or if they fit my feet better than anything else I tried. I'd pick Degre for hiking, Vertical for ice climbing and hiking.

Lots of folks have liked the Inverno in lots of places around the country. It may be a better fit for narrow heels than some other lines.

Personally I have a pair of Lowa Civettas that I like, particularly at the consignment price that I bought them at. "Many are called to winter hiking, somewhat fewer make it to the next season." ;)

Regarless of which you get, do take the time to get them fit properly. I used a rental pair of Koflach Viva Softs (way back when) in NZ whiletaking a climbing class and wound up banging my shins-lower ankles, really-hiking out over the glacier for miles and miles. Not something you want to do more than once.

Here's an article from a while back about plastic boots. Doesn't have the latest models, but might be useful. It does compare the Arctis, Degre and Inverno. They've all been around a while.
http://climbing.com/print/equipment/boots218/

Last edited:
Scarpa Inverno's have been the gold standard for expeditions for many years. But, fit is all important, so the Koflach last may fit your foot better. The Artis is stiffer and warmer; the Degre is a bit more comfortable as it's more flexible.

Hey Zeke -

Though not used so much anymore, i have the Inverno's and have several 10+ mile days in them. I also have both stock and heat-moldable aftermarket liners. The Invernos are indeed very, very warm - i have never had cold feet in them unless i was either dehydrated or stationary for a long, long time.

However, if i were to buy a plastic boot strictly for winter hiking, i would likely go with the Koflach Degre. As mentioned, the Degre is light(er), (more) flexible, and warm (enough). By the way, with any pair of plastic boots, be careful not to lace them up too high or you may suffer shin-bang. YMMV.

Like you, i also get cold feet easily and if i didn't use the Inverno's for climbing (they are great climbing boots), the Degre's would take care of business.

Make sure you get an excellent fit and when getting fit, be sure to wear the socks you would wear on the trail.

fm

Last edited:
Plastic Boots

Zeke,
I have both the Arctic Expres and the Degree. My experience has been the Degree is more flexible and a little better in the mixed terrain of snow, ice and rock. I have found them well suited for multiple days in the East. I really like the Expres when its way cold. I have used them in Alaska without issue.
Fit, Fit, Fit, Thats the key.
Scott

Thanks

Thanks to everyone. All excellent comments. I'm gathering that the number one item is fit. Second, that for me, the Arctis Expe is perhaps overkill for the Northeast, even if your feet tend to run cold. I'll focus first on the Degre, then on the Scarpa Inverno, then perhaps on the Expe ... but make the main criterion the boot's fit. Thanks again. This was very helpful.

zeke