Winter day hike pack contents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For fire starters, I tear the cover off a paperboard egg carton, tear the cover up and put it in the "cups." Then I melt some paraffin and pour it into the cups, being careful to have something underneath since the paraffin soaks through and can make a mess! :eek:

I cut them into individual cups and always take a couple with me. They light easily, last a pretty long time and make enough fire to dry and ignite small twigs. Another positive factor is that they don't blow away very easily, although if a wind is strong enough to blow your fire starters away it's probably strong enough to blow your fire out. (Sorry, Doug, I don't know the math on that one. :D )

Mad Townie said:
if a wind is strong enough to blow your fire starters away it's probably strong enough to blow your fire out. (Sorry, Doug, I don't know the math on that one. :D )
Turbulent flow, etc. Probably requires the full Navier-Stokes equations. Too much for me too...

Doug

bikehikeskifish said:
Where does one find blocks of paraffin cheap? I went looking once and didn't come across any.
Good old fashioned hardware store. It is used for home canning. (sealing the jars) I know there is one in Arlington, MA that has it.

Doug

I looked last summer at Shaw's and Home Depot, and I couldn't find any, nor could the help I inquired of.

Since you aren't going to eat it, it doesn't need to be food quality either... Candle quality is probably fine.

Could I use Swix CH10? (that violates the "cheap" parameter ;-) )

Tim

sapblatt said:
Isn't this the wax that you can find in a supermarket in boxes along with mason jars and other canning supplies?
Yup. I use the "Gulf" brand because that's what I found first, and it'll be a long time before it runs out. Making the firestarters takes about 1 brick out of the 4 or 5 in the box.

bikehikeskifish said:
Candle quality is probably fine.
Candle wax may have additives to raise the melting point.

Could I use Swix CH10? (that violates the "cheap" parameter ;-) )
Only if the temp is 32-50 deg F...

For general winter use, CH6 (10-21F) might be a better choice. :)

Just don't use any of the fluro waxes--that may put you in the thread on "which moutain to die on".

Doug

DougPaul said:
Just don't use any of the fluro waxes--that may put you in the thread on "which moutain to die on".

I can't afford the fluro waxes to ski on, never mind to make fire starters. The reason I asked was because if I saved all the scrapings over the years of waxing skis, I'd have enough wax to make a few of these things... Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, as they say.

Tim

For a good firestarter-try Frito's! They burn hot,and if you get the fire going on just one or two,you still have a snack!

When I build a fire on snow I use a couple of thicker logs as a base to keep the fire up off the snow a bit.

And,obvious as it may seem,if you have a gas stove with a piezo ignition,you can start a campfire with no matches.

hiking light

I was thinking about this thread a bit, and had kind of a final thought. The bottom line is, we were discussing what someone needed in the event that they REALLY had to spend a night out, to stay alive. You can go as light as you usually go, just add 1 of 2 things. (1) shove a -50 down parka in the bottom of your pack,and some overpants, it hardly takes up that much space, or (2)carry a -20 or -40 bag, that weighs around 4+ pounds. This is what you would be using to stay alive overnight(in addition to having capability to start a fire, or without in case your above treeline).You might have to get a little bigger pack, and it would add a couple pounds more. So, no matter who you are, or what you like to carry, for an additional 4 to 7 pounds, you have life insurance.

hikerfast said:
I was thinking about this thread a bit, and had kind of a final thought. The bottom line is, we were discussing what someone needed in the event that they REALLY had to spend a night out, to stay alive. You can go as light as you usually go, just add 1 of 2 things. (1) shove a -50 down parka in the bottom of your pack,and some overpants, it hardly takes up that much space, or (2)carry a -20 or -40 bag, that weighs around 4+ pounds. This is what you would be using to stay alive overnight(in addition to having capability to start a fire, or without in case your above treeline).You might have to get a little bigger pack, and it would add a couple pounds more. So, no matter who you are, or what you like to carry, for an additional 4 to 7 pounds, you have life insurance.

I think your ratings are conservative. One could probably survive without being comforatable in a 0 degree bag, but would need a pad and wind pro like a bivy. Of course this assumes that they have the brains and wherewithall to get below treeline.

Edited to the third person, instead on second ("you") as in re-reading my post it seemed imply incompetance to Hikerfast and this was not my intention.

BTW, When I said "brains" I was really referring to decision making ability as hypothermia may be a factor in the situation.

Last edited:
One of the foundations of winter hiking safety is your group. Who are they and can you depend on each other?
The Adirondack Mt Club Winter school for years has advocated that the minimum safe winter party is 4, and that there should be at least 1 sleeping bag and closed cell foam pad.
The basic idea is that if a person is injured, 1 stays to assist, 2 go for help and the bag can keep the injured person warm, or in a pinch, 2 can squeeze in keeping both warm.

Over the years, I've always carried extra mittens, socks, hats, bivy, down jacket, etc. Its embarassing to say that while my winter pack is still heavier than is comfortable, I have started leaving out things that I would have never considered doing in the past. I believe that the proper thing is to be self-sufficient, and to have extras for others. I've heard so many conversations over the last 10 years, that go like this: "between us, we have enought emergency clothing", that I'm afraid I've let it slowly influence what I sometimes jettison when daypacking.
Its hard to admit that I do it, but the thread is a good reminder to rethink my emergency preparations.

John H Swanson said:
I find it fun to watch the light weight pack crowd dance around and ask to get going.
That said, on most days I can't lift my winter daypack because it's too heavy.

Now that you too are drinking Stoneyfield Yogurt Smoothies and are leaving the 14 PB&J's behind, you'll become one of those light weight'ers and we'll get to see you dance :p

Cath said:
Now that you too are drinking Stoneyfield Yogurt Smoothies and are leaving the 14 PB&J's behind, you'll become one of those light weight'ers and we'll get to see you dance :p

I don't know how I'll be able to keep up with the crowd if everyone knows the secret.