Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i put replacement screws in stablilicers???

how do i put replacement screws in stablilicers???

I need help. I tried with a screwdriver, with a socket as suggested, and it's not working. They are flat ended like bolts, and I can't even seem to start the things.

Not sure what the issue is...I have always used a screwdriver - a nut driver should work as well.
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

A 1/4 inch nutdriver worked for me. A screwdriver should work too.

Doug

I haven't lost any of the screws yet. I know that the company sells really expensive replacements. Is there any reason why simple, $0.03 cent sheet metal screws wouldn't work as replacements?

Also, it was my plan to put a dab of Shoe Goo in the Stablicer missing screw hole and then insert the replacement. It might keep the screws from falling out so easily and not be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr
    I haven't lost any of the screws yet. I know that the company sells really expensive replacements. Is there any reason why simple, $0.03 cent sheet metal screws wouldn't work as replacements?
    The mfgr claims the screws are case hardened. They also have a concave head which will give a better grip than the head of a sheet metal screw.

Also, it was my plan to put a dab of Shoe Goo in the Stablicer missing screw hole and then insert the replacement. It might keep the screws from falling out so easily and not be permanent.
    I tried it. No problems for a short <2mi bit. I still don't know if I will be able to get the screws out when the heads become worn.

Doug

the problem is starting it. the rubber comes together and there is just about no hole to screw it into. i just got one in with the screwdriver but im afraid im just stripping it totally. ill just keep trying. no way can i get them in with the socket

hmm...i just took one of the old ones out. they are screws. these 'replacement' ones are bolts..flat bottom..and nowhere near as long. what a RIP OFF!!!

I took my original screws out and replaced them without difficulty.

Couldn't find my replacment screws to compare them.

There are 2 different types of screws--make sure you have the kind that matches the model of stabilicer that you have.
    http://www.32north.com/prod_cover.htm

Doug

Just got some from the company. Including shipping they come out to 14 cents eadh. They're screws, not bolts (at least in my case), have a concave top with good cutting edges for grip, and I started them with my fingers before using a screwdriver. My concern is screwing them in too much and simply digging the rubber out of the hole, so I put them in tight-ish but not too tight.

They're being used Sunday, so we'll see how they work.
    Mad Townie

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. - H. D. Thoreau

Easy trails, nice days and comfort are good, too. - M. Townie

Didn't know that. I was told that the replacement screws were very expensive. I can live with 0.14 cents each.
    What did they charge to ship the replacement screws to you?

Thanks

Didn't know that. I was told that the replacement screws were very expensive. I can live with 0.14 cents each.

Thanks
    I had gotten a 50 pack from 32north directly as well.
    0.14 each includes the shipping:
    STABILicers Replacement stabcleat1 1 5.50

Subtotal 5.50
    Shipping 1.50
    Total 7.00

These are the ones for the regular Stabilicer, not the Sport or Overshoe. They appear pretty much identical to the ones that came on the Stabilicer. One minor problem is that if you lose the screw while hiking, the hole can fill up with sand etc, so I have tried to clean that out a bit before putting in a replacement.

Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
    fyi, a helpful hint: if you are using them in an area with road salt or ice melt or something, make sure you clean them off when you have a chance, mine have rusted a little bit when I was shoveling my steep icy driveway & I had put down some ice-melt.
    --Jason
    moose plates help conserve New Hampshire's natural heritage
    New book from NHNHB: The Nature of New Hampshire

I lost 2 screws earlier this year on mine. Had no luck getting replacements at EMS or REI (I could order them and wait), but ended up getting a bag of 50 from Campmor for $3.99.
    Of course I had to order some other things too just to justify the shipping (6 bucks I think) but you can always find something you need there.
    I was going to buy a copy of The Power of Positive Thinking, and then I thought: What the hell good would that do?

As of two weeks ago, Ragged Mountain in Conway/Bartlett had sets of replacement sscrews. That may be worth checking out if you are in the area.

Thanks
    5 bucks for 50 screws, 2 bucks for shipping (or maybe it was 4 and 3, I forget), so the total was $7.00 for 50. BTW, 32 North is in Biddeford, ME, about 15 or 20 miles from me, so I got them the day after they shipped them out.
    Mad Townie

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. - H. D. Thoreau

Easy trails, nice days and comfort are good, too. - M. Townie